Sign in to follow this  
spen01ce

Estabilishing Trade-in Value

We have a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star, 300 hp, 70,000 miles. Excellent condition. We are wanting to upgrade. If we use this motorhome as trade- in how would you go about finding out how much you should ask? Thanks.

Trade in value will be close to the wholesale value. A dealer may play with the numbers to make you think you are getting more but you almost never do.

Wholesale used to be about 70% of retail. I suspect it still is.

Many people expect a lot more than wholesale for a trade-in; however that is how dealers, and all other businesses for that matter, operate. They buy at wholesale and sell at retail.

Spen01ce - When I was buying a motor home two years ago NADA wholesale was roughly 13% less than low retail. I got that information from my lender and verified it at that time. If I was in your situation I would consider doing a bit of research to see what motor homes similar to your have sold for recently. PPL Motorhomes in Texas has recently solds on their web site. And you can look up the solds in ebay. You might also consider trying to sell your motor home yourself. I sold my last one. Or you could list yours with a consignment place like PPL or one near you. Or list on ebay. Hope that helps.