Sign in to follow this  
cbdeajr

Winter storage?

I have winterized the water sys but should I level my MH for winter storage? If so do you use the Hyd. leveling sys on the MH? It is stored in my barn which has a gravel floor.

Good Morning, for the last few years I have been storing my coach in an old hanger. Fortunately it has a cement floor and I have been using my hydraulic levelling jacks to level and hoist my mh up slightly. I position the coach with plywood sheets under the tires, release all the air from my suspension, top up the tires to their max stated pressure plus 5 psi, in my case 120 + 5 =125 psi- the extra 5 is for the temperature drop we will get. From what I've read this will help to keep the tires from developing flat spots. Then I put spacers (in my case I bought the Camco levelling blocks) under the jacks so they would not be extended too much. Next I lower the jacks just enough to extend the air bags slightly so the weight of the coach is off the axles. This way with very little extension the only weight on the wheels is the axles and the wheels themselves.

I also use a touch of the hydraulic fluid to wipe the extended portion of the jack pistons to reduce corrosion. I then measure the distance from the ground to a common point on the coach next to each wheel and record this, then check it periodically over the winter. It will tell me if the jacks are holding. If you are working over gravel this will be important too as the gravel may compress on you. Before doing this I read that many others were jacking their rig up for storage and had been successful. To me this exercise is more important for my tires than anything else, don't forget to cover the tires if there is any possibility of sunlight getting at them.

Hope this helps