Sign in to follow this  
billamick@amickequipment.com

Chevrolet Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu on which I am installing a tow bar and plan to "flat tow" behind my Monaco Diplomat. The 2005, 2006 and 2007 models have no restrictions on speed or distance. Previous and later models are restricted to a max of 65 MPH. Why? Did they change the transmission for 3 years or forget to put the restriction in place for 3 years or what? Can I tow my Malibu at 70 or 75 MPH or not?

I have no facts to answer your question, but I didn't want you to feel as if you're being ignored. I think there have been changes to some GM model transmissions over the years. I seem to recall that some Saturn View's had Honda transmission that had different towing abilities than GM transmissions, but I don't recall exactly what the differences were. Hopefully someone knowlegeable will chime in soon and assist you.

Guest Wayne77590

Well, your subject intrigued me so I tried doing a search on several variables looking for an answer, to no avail. My mind is definitely not what it used to be on memory, but I am THINKING that i read somewhere that the friction build up at the higher speeds can damage the transmission. There are some models that require the vehicle be started every 200 miles to let the fluid build up in the system, yet there are others that do not require that method of towing.

When I was looking for a TOAD, I used the manufacturer's manual on the vehicle. I'd open the glove box and there it would be, even on 4 or 5 year old vehicles. Seems the dealers take great pride in being able to supply a user manual. In those manual's would be the recommendations on towing.

As you may know, every vehicle can be towed with mechanical modifications of either a driveshaft disconnect or an external transmission pump or both, although it may void the warranty.

Going this long without a proper answer it is probably time to call the manufacturer, or email them. What the respond in there email will be "on record," in writing and may have some weight later on.

I would go by the towing guides published by Family Motor Home Magazine. it is also linked on FMCA HOME PAGE.