Sign in to follow this  
clynel

Check Trans light

In May of 06 I was traveling toward Barstow, CA on I-40 when the Check Trans light came on. It struck terror in my heart and so I found a place to pull over. I was going up a grade and it seemed to lose power. I had no idea how to check the trans, so called Allison and they said to take it to an authorized dealer. Since there are none in the middle of the desert, I took it to the nearest transmission place near a truck stop in Barstow. They had no computer or any good ideas. After all that, I started the engine and the light was off! It ran just fine the rest of the way home.

I took the coach to a local authorized Allison agency and they charged me $200 to tell me that they found nothing wrong with their trans. Refered me to "Monaco dealer for OEM wiring problem." The authorized Monaco dealer found no problems. The light didn't come on again until recently on a trip to Nebraska. The light came on about 5 different times and each time I stopped, turned off the engine and after a couple of minutes started it again and the light was off.

There doesn't seem to be any particular event that causes the light to go on. It happens going up hill, going on a flat road or even going down hill. I checked the fluid level cold and hot and it is where it is supposed to be. I took it to one agent in Grand Junction while the light was on, but he refused to look at it, citing a busy schedule. He suggested I wait over the weekend when his crew would have more time on Monday. I thought the best time to check it would be when the light is on.

The trans and engine seem to work just fine with the light on or off. One time, I was on a flat, narrow road in Kansas with no shoulder and couldn't pull over to stop. It ran several miles just fine.

So, my question is: Do I have a real problem?

Clynel

Hi Clynel ,

Welcome to the forum. It the tranny fluid is at the correct level, not burned (dark color, burnt smell) the problem may be with the connectors of the wires that go between the engine control module (ECM) and the transmission. When communications are interrupted between the ECM and the tranny, either the check engine or check tranny light will come on. Consider having the connectors inspected and sprayed with the appropriate electrical lubricant to ensure there is a good solid contact for each of the wires.

This happened to me about a week ago. Camped at bottom of steep hill. Unit not totally warmed when I pulled the hill. At top of hill the transmission light came on & rig went into limp mode. Pulled to side of road, turned unit off, sat a couple min & restarted. Light was off & rig ran fine. Pulled off at 1st opportunity & checked fluid. Maybe 1/4 qt low. Topped off & drove another 100mi to destination including up & down fairly steep hills in the UP of MI. Geared down on hills as test. No further trouble.

I put this problem on another forum & had several folks tell me it happened to them once or twice without recurring. One said he took his to an Workhorse ser ctr & they traced it to low coolant (go figure). Checked my coolant & it was slightly below the full line cold. Refilled but have not been back on road yet. Will find out thurs. Another said there was a connection between a brake problem & the tranny light coming on. COMPUTER???

Will let you know. BTW, mine is an 04 Workhorse w/ Allison.