Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Using on-line mapping software

Guest Wayne77590

I'm a little behind in my forum(s) catch-up, but I noticed many have asked questions regarding mapping programs. Here is a little information that I hope will help the traveler.

Since the introduction of the Internet, vast improvements have been made in the way mapping programs are operating. There is no need to join anything to find RV spots, camping spots, restaurants, or any other service.

Here is what I do:

Open up a mapping website. Google maps, or Bing maps. I prefer Bing Maps as the Birds Eye View is really great. Once the map websigte is open you will see a map of the United States. At the top of the website the word "bing" without he quote, and an area adjacent to it to put in a search word. So;

1. Select (type in) a city and state (Example: Houston, TX)

2. At the end of the bing text line, click on the orange magnifying glass (search button)

3. The city appears

4. In the same line as #1, type in the words RV Park (capitalization not necessary) and click the search button

5. The map will be populated with a know group of RV Parks. (Known being a relative term)

6. Slide the map in any direction and the map will be re-populated with RV Parks

7. Use any service word you wish, Campground, Mexican Restaurant, Italian Restaurant, Freightliner, etc.

Experiment a little and don't forget that this method is not all-inclusive. One mapping service may give you something different than another mapping service. Once a business pops up it needs to be verified as a service that you are looking for. Try the word "campground" instead of "RV Park." The search engines are not giving you what they think you want, not what you may have specifically asked for. The above method is "tool." It may not give you the absolute answer that you are looking for. So use the other tools, like campground reviews, forums, etc., to verify the information.

Happy trails.

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I had not looked at Bing Maps but now that I have, I will be using it. It is a great additional "tool".

Guest Wayne77590

You are welcome.

And for all, remember that it is just a "tool." Checking out the locations in RV Park reviews, Restaurant Reviews, etc., is still a good thing to do. Also, it is not an "all inclusive" tool and is subject to the whim of the search engines that populate the databases.

Happy trails.