CuzEl

US 50 Across Colorado

Question

3 answers to this question

What are your concerns? It really hasn't changed much in 10 years. Rocky Ford still has great melons, The Royal Gorge is still scenic, but kind of a tourist trap, Monarch pass is steep but managable, and Blue Mesa Resivoir still has great fishing.

What a coincidence! I came to the FMCA forum looking for comments on CO'S SR50. We will be crossing the state mid August and was looking at maps to see where we should stop between the KS-CO border and Lk Irwin @Crested Butte. We have 4 nights available and I would appreciate suggestions on what areas are more beautiful, (cool in August?) relaxed; what to do or see. Normally we stay at Nat'l, C of E or ST PKs, if available...or even on rest areas (budget!!). I read about Royal Gorge but think that it might be too touristry crowded and expensive, unless it is worth at least a one day visit.

Oh, also, when we arrive at the border we would have been 2 days stopping on the road (dry) and Lk Irwin is also dry camping. Thus, if the campground or area you suggest has electrical hook-up it would be nice, and preferred if there is a connection to fill our water tank somewhere...best! We travel on a 27'Coachmen Concord w/ tow.

Thank you in advance!!

Jocelynn and Oscar Power

Florda