Sign in to follow this  
MONTIE

Motorhome slideout lubrication

What is the best lubricant to grease the rails on a slideout? The instructions mention not to use a lubricant that will collect dirt and dust, but they do not give a type. I put WD40 on one that was really hard to close and it worked well, but I am afraid that it will build up crude.

Guest Wayne77590

There is a product you can buy in most RV stores, and hardware stores that is called "Dry Lube." It does not leave a residue. But the best test is to spray the lube on a piece of cardboard, then throw some dirt on it and see if it just slides off. That is the type of lube you want to use. WD-40 WILL gum up after a while and also, if it comes into contact with a rubber gasket will deteriorate the gasket after a period of time and continued use.

We've been using Jig-a-loo a product from Canada that seems to work great. Doesn't stain, dries fast and repels water. Found it at Wally world and it's been in use in Canada since the 50's. I think it's the equivalent of our WD-40 but better.