JohnRJoAnnrRCarey

Tunnels and Trip Routing

How can the company that FMCA uses for trip routing for motorhomes not know that a coach cannot legally travel thru most tunnels, especially traveling south on I-95 towards Florida?

Some other routing sites ask if you want to avoid or use any special routes?

jJhn R. Carey

F409036

The company that provides the trip routing service for FMCA will route you around any restricted area that RVs are not permitted to travel. They get the information from each state police department. This information is updated each year.

Many tunnels have such restrictions and they are usually well posted well in advance of the tunnel and offer a alternative route.. The only one I know of on I-95 is the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

"Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor."