Sign in to follow this  
emmatacey

Tracvision R5SL/R4SL with Direct TV - Updating

My parents bought a motorhome this spring and have been working on getting satellite TV set up. They have Direct TV in their house and was told by Direct TV that they could just take their box from their home and hook it up in the motorhome. We have quickly found out that is not the case.

They first had an HDTV receiver and we found out that doesn't work with the R5. They got a standard box and we are still unable to get it to work. I called KVH and they said since the previous owners used DISH that the satellite would need to be updated by a computer. My question is, has anyone ever done this themselves? I have the serial to USB cable and I've looked up the manual and info. I found that you use KVH flash update wizard and connect the PC to the maintenance port. It also tells you the commands to type and then the code for the satellite. By looking at this I believe I might be able to do it but I'm also afraid of messing something up.

I am good with computers and I work in Audio Visual but this particular area is not the area I work in. Any advice? Should I try it myself?

I can't find a KVH tech close.

I have a R4SL and the associated manuals in PDF format. They indicate that you can change from DirecTV to DISH by changing the settings. If you give me your email address, I would be happy to send them to you.

Ron

Ron,

I actually have the pdf as well. It tells me commands to enter; example HALT then SATINSTALL<satname> ZAP.

I'm sure I have the correct information but was curious if anyone else has ever done this themselves without a tech from KVH.