Sign in to follow this  
MarYJac04

06 Journey 36' vs/ 2007 Cayman 36'

I am looking at a 2006 Journey 36 and a 2007 Cayman 36. I am interested in comments relating to both. I have followed the Monaco trailing arm problem, so I am aware of that; however I am interested in other information relating to problems, ride, handling, etc.

I am also interested in knowing more about the Monaco Cayman (2008 35SBD) in my case. I'm never owned a coach and would welcome any input on where this is in the line-up. Low end, middle, etc? I've also read about the trailing arm issue. There seems to be some talk about ride quality as well. I would love to hear what folks have to say about the Cayman ride compared to others.

There are RV owners that swear by the Monaco products, but we got rid of our 2000 Dynasty DP because the ride was so horrible on concrete slab roads and freeways, it shook us crazy! So, if you don't have the eight outside airbags and no concrete roads you might be satisfied with that. The other problem was the turning radius on the Monaco back in 2000. We met a nice sales person who directed us to the Freightliner chassis with just four air bags and 56 degree and 60 degree turning radius. We never turned back. Caution--- you are about to enter the maintenance and problem solving adventure of a lifetime and it usually isn't cheap. Good Luck, David

I'm pretty happy with my 2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ. Other than the trailing arm situation (which can be solved for about $3k), I've only had trouble with the windshield and the Lippert hydraulic slide rams.

The windshield is one piece and pretty sensitive to any kind of tweaking via the jacks... particularly when you let the coach down. Mine popped out when I raised the jacks once before filling the air bags... not good. I got the glass reseated and have been careful to fill the bags first, before raising the jacks... and no problems the last two years.

The slide rams have been a major pain... had to replace the same rams twice due to leaking!!! The first time was covered under warranty... the second I had to pay and it was about $4k with labor!!! They have also been good for the last two years... hopefully that episode is over.

The Cayman is Monaco's entry level Diesel Pusher. I found the ride/drive much better than my 32' gas motorhome that I owned previously. However, as many will remind you on the forum, the ride is nowhere near as nice as the 8 or 10 bag motorhomes. If I could spend an extra $50-100k for a coach, I would have one of them!

I hope that helps... let me know if you any questions.

Ron