Sign in to follow this  
czubeers

Tow Brake System For 07 Ford Escape Hybrid: Need Advise

Tow brake system for a 07 Ford Escape Hybrid: Need advise! I'm setting up my Escape Hybrid to tow. Yes I know it's heavy, but it fits my big butt. It was allot of questionable research to verify it was towable and the hybrid is. The next issue is the tow brake. I've been towing a Jeep Cherokee with a Classic Brake Buddy. Brake Buddy no longer recommends using the Classic on the Hybrid. The Hybrid has a full time active power brake system (non vacuum) and will activate the brakes like your driving it (over braking is supposed to be a problem with the Brake Buddy Classic). Brake Buddy offers a new system; The Stealth that they have been building for about a year. It's $1100.00/ with a trade in option $800.00, but is not very interchangeable back to the Jeep. Brake buddy had a procedure on the classic to lower the piston pressure to something like 10 PSI for the hybrid prior to the Stealth System.

Im considering changing out my Tow Brake System to the; Ready Brake System (Tow Bar Compression) and apply it to both my Jeep and Escape. It looks like a good option. So the big questions are: Is there anybody out there using the Ready Brake system on a Ford Escape Hybrid? Or any other Hybrid with full time active brakes. How does it perform? Has anybody been using the Classic Brake Buddy with the Hybrid Escape? What is the set up procedure and does it work properly? Heard mixed reviews, owners say it works ok / Brake Buddy says there are over braking problems. Dont want to spend more money then I have too, But Its better to be safe then sorry when it comes to brakes. Please chime in if you have any info.

Thanks Much

Matt Czubek

Tacoma Wa. 2000: 2830 Safari Trek, Jeep/Escape Tow

I have been towing my 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid for 8 year with a Brake Buddy Classic and have had no problems. I just set the presure to 10-15 psi. It has been a great towed car, I have 140,000 and over 30,000 towed miles.Good luck.