67butch@gmail.com

Extended Warranty

We have always maintained extended warranties on our MHs. The coaches have changed, and so have the companies, as we purchased what was offered by the dealers. We currently have a policy with Platinum Plus (or something like that). I do not work on my motorhome, other than light repair. I keep it clean, I change fuses, I have replaced water pumps, I fix woodwork, I actually changed the shower valve with the help of a knowledgeable friend. If a major appliance needs repair, if the motorhome itself needs repair, I take it to a recommended shop. That costs quite a bit, just for the evaluation. Over the past many years I have had the basement air overhauled, a MH transmission replaced, a string of fuel filter problems on one coach, a jack failure, and a microwave failure. Almost forgot the two frigs that needed repair over the years. Each time I relied on the warranty to find a qualified shop, oversee the repair, and guarantee the repair for my copay of $50. Yes, you MUST play their game. Call THEM first before going to the shop, make sure the shop is on their list, and start a claim. Then go to the shop, tell them you have started the claim. Make sure the shop calls for authorization BEFORE any work is started. Recently, when I had the basement air problem, it was repaired for my copay, and worked well for about a month. Then the basement air started making a horrible sound. I took it back to the shop, where I was told the shaft was out of balance, probably my fault for driving on bad roads. They then said the insurance would not cover the adjustment, since it was not a faulty part. I immediately called the warranty service, I was told, very politely, that the claim was denied because they had paid previously for a new shaft and for its proper instillation. They then called the shop, spoke with the owner/manager and the shop realized they had made an "error" and the repairs were promptly made. In short, they had my back.

Many RVers will write that it is a waste, just putting the money in the bank will cover the repair later. Maybe, if you don't need the repairs for a few years. If you fix things yourself, or have a shade tree mechanic friend, you will not be reimbursed for parts or time. For me, the warranty works.

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding warranties. I did almost all repairs on my past three motorhomes, and had two extended warranties. I have been very lucky by not having to file any claims. Two years with this Alfa and so far no problems, but feel it is time to get at least a five year coverage.

Again, thank you

Butch