Sign in to follow this  
steve@congrave.com

Contacting a previous owner

I was recently lucky enough to be able to purchase a vintage 1984 Monaco with just 47,000 miles but with very little history. I'm in the process of restoring her to her former glory but would love to try and find out some history.

The VIN is 1GBKP37W8E3320211 and I believe it may be a 1984 Crown Royale, although an early sales docket says Regency, but I can't seem to find any info out about that model name from Caribou Manufacturing on the web. And of course the latest incarnation of Monaco are less than helpful.

I'll take a trip up to the Indiana museum at some point, but in the meantime, do you think it's ok to try and contact the old owner? Their FMCA badge is still on the back of the coach - 26239.

Thoughts?

post-8334-1254966782_thumb.jpg

post-8334-1254966797_thumb.jpg

I looked up that member number tonight and it appears that number is no longer listed as an active member. If you find any information or find any indication of where the unit was sold, perhaps that dealer, if still in business could help find the name of the original purchaser.

Good Luck with you restoration and search for previous owners

Thanks Ed for doing that.

I was worried that the previous owner may be deceased and didn't want to cause upset. I'm trying to get a carfax for it and it appears that it may only have had one owner in 25 years :rolleyes: But it appears that it may also have 147,000 miles, not 47,000 as there was a reported 'Beyond mechanical limits' reported. If I can get the full Carfax I'll get more info.

It should be a lot of fun - when they built the interiors of these motorhomes, they built them well - all solid oak cabinets.

Regards

Steve

Guest Wayne77590

If you contact the FMCA home office, they may be able to help you with a member name. I don't think they will publish it here, but they have archives of all past members. Send them an email. Click on the "HOME" button and "Contact FMCA."

Good luck.

I think if you open your query with your first sentence the original owner would be most willing to be of assistance. I guess the only thing that bothers me is that a 1984 coach is a "classic."

Enjoy your restoration.