chp007kd40

Update On Camping World Fiasco

My 2 cents for what it is worth.  I spent 40 years working for Cummins in CT.  Several of which were as service mgr, and many as a factory trained and certified instructor.  It was always a problem to get good techs and for a lot of reasons.  Cummins held several forums on this and some of the answers were young people can no longer work much on their cars, years ago kids hung around gas stations and worked on cars, developing a interest in mechanics today that doesn't happen. With the technology in today's cars trucks RVs etc it is very hard to get a job as a tech without training.   Private tech schools are expensive and don't keep up with technology (I was on advisory boards to several) after school and in debt they will spend $5,000 and up on a large tool box with no tools.  The pay scale to start is barely above poverty levels and when someone asks what you do and you say I'm a diesel or RV tech you get "Oh".  I don't see any changes in the near future. Everything is about college education and nothing for the trades.  I rarely need to take my car or RV to a shop but when I do I always get a signed written estimate with the statement only repairs listed are to be done if other parts or work is required they need my written OK. It is a pain but there are no big surprises.