Sign in to follow this  
dspangler48@msn.com

Western trip to National Parks in Utah

Question

We are planning a trip from Florida to Oregan this summer in a 40' motorhome(with tow car) and need help getting to the National Parks in Utah. We plan to head west thru Texas and into New Mexico and visit Carlsbad and White Sands. From there we plan to head north to visit the parks - Bryce, Capitol Reef, Zion and Arches - then on to Salt Lake City. After that we head south to Las Vegas and into California and going up to Oregon. I need help in planning a route that I can handle in the MH. I'm just into my 2nd year driving and mostly in flat areas in the east and midwest. So a good route over the BIG mts that is not too adventerous would be welcome. Also any campsites that can be recommended. Dry camping in the parks is ok if I can get there easily and maneuver once inside the park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

3 answers to this question

We are planning a trip from Florida to Oregan this summer in a 40' motorhome(with tow car) and need help getting to the National Parks in Utah. We plan to head west thru Texas and into New Mexico and visit Carlsbad and White Sands. From there we plan to head north to visit the parks - Bryce, Capitol Reef, Zion and Arches - then on to Salt Lake City. After that we head south to Las Vegas and into California and going up to Oregon. I need help in planning a route that I can handle in the MH. I'm just into my 2nd year driving and mostly in flat areas in the east and midwest. So a good route over the BIG mts that is not too adventerous would be welcome. Also any campsites that can be recommended. Dry camping in the parks is ok if I can get there easily and maneuver once inside the park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We have been to Moab UT. 3 years in a row now and highly recommend Canyonlands RV Park. Just the most convienient place to stay in town and one of the nicer parks with a large and convienient laundry facililty. If you plan to stay in the Moab area when you visit Canyonlands and Arches parks make sure to make reservations well in advance (like within the next few months) as Moab is a very popular place. About 1.5 hours west of Moab is Goblin Valley State Park. Again I highly recommend it. Beautiful surroundings and a fun place to explore. The state park here has no hookups so it is dry camping and you will need reservations here too as it fills up quick.

In Oregon you surely cannot miss Crater Lake. The closest RV park is Diamond Lake RV Park just a few minutes north of the park. We have stayed here several times and find it to be very nice.

If you head out to the coast of Oregon our favorite stay there is Nehalem Bay State Park. This park is huge and very popular most of the year. Very large sites, right over a dune to 2 miles worth of state owned beach.

For more planning ideas go to RV Park Reviews to get reviews from fellow RVrs. All the parks mentioned here are good for big rigs and easy to get to and find.

Hope you have a great trip. If I can be of any help in your planning just drop me a message...

drifters2,

You haven't said how long you plan to take for this trip. The distances are very great across the west. You will put on plenty of miles and it will take quite a while to drive all this distance.

When it comes to travel through the west, you are going to see some mountains. The best roads will be the interstate highways. The interstates, however, don't offer the scenery or the shorter routes.

From White Sands I would take I-25 N and then I-40 W to Gallup. Then take US 491 N through SW Colorado to US 191 to Arches. Near Arches we stayed at Portal RV Park in Moab and found it to be a fine full service campground.

I would take a route through Utah that goes to Arches (might as well see Canyonlands while there). Next I would head for Capital Reef via US 191, US 95 and US 24 through Glen Canyon. This is a beautiful scenic route, better than the Interstate raceway.

The road from Capital Reef to Bryce is Spectacular but will take you over a high mountain pass, across a knife edge ridge with a tremendous view and then into Bryce Canyon. We stayed near Bryce Canyon but not in the park. I believe that Bauers Canyon Ranch was near Glendale on US 89. From there we could take the toad to explore Bryce and Zion Canyons. The road to Zion via Hwy 9 has a tunnel that I would not advise taking in a large motor home. It is possible though they have to close the tunnel to traffic from the opposite direction and you have to drive the middle of the tunnel to do so. Take the toad through once before you decide to try the motor home. The other route via Cedar Breaks is high elevation, I haven't traveled that route. Again, explore with the toad as that route could get you to I-15 for your trip north to Salt Lake City. Otherwise, Hwy 89 offers a route north to I-70 which will get you to I-15. At this point you are closer to Las Vegas than Salt Lake City. You could save that for the return trip or for a later stop. Coming into Salt Lake City from the east you have a long steep downgrade as it lies at the base of the Wasatch Mountains.

This is from our experience in the area several years ago. You may find locals who have better suggestions but this worked for us. At each campground where you stay you can consult with locals about the nature of your intended route and get their suggestions.

Regarding mountain travel, take your time, don't let the coach accelerate on the down slope. If you are driving a diesel, use the engine brake. Keep the speed in check and you'll be fine. As you get some experience you will become more at ease with mountain travel.

From FL I assume you’ll be on I-10 thru TX. When you get to Pecos you can take Hwy 285 to Carlsbad. Good road and route. If not via I-10, then any road into NM from TX will be an easy drive.

The shortest route from Carlsbad to White Sands (Hwy 82) is thru Cloudcroft and over a 9000 ft mountain but it isn’t a difficult drive. Good two lane road, normal curves, and you don’t have to have your eyes glued to the road. You will need the exhaust brake on the downhill side to White Sands, but it’s not hazardous. It affords a great view into the valley.

I’d also do I-25 and I-40 to Gallup. I agree that you should see Canyonlands while near Arches. You can then hit I-70 which is a great drive with a view and head to Capital Reef. I would not recommend Hwy 24 to Bryce. I’d backtrack to I-70 and get off on Hwy 89. That’s an easy route both north and south.

Last suggestion is to ask the folks at each campground about recommended roads in their particular state. That’s what I did and it worked out well.