Sign in to follow this  
OldBeaver

Metal Shield Over Turbo--Caterpillar 3208

My engine CAT 3208T has what looks like a homemade metal shield over the turbo.

Is there normally a metal shield over the turbocharger on these engines or RVs in general?

I am not really too thrilled how this thing is attached so if it was the original owner's addition I would probably remove it. If these come standard then I will have to look at a better way to secure it.

It is about 1/8" piece if metal that is flat on top and the sides being bend at about 45 degree angle.

I'm guessing it's home made.  Back in 1987, there was not much insulation between engine and bedroom floor and a turbo trows off a lot of heat.  So, the owner put on his own deflector.  

If memory still serves me, the first "cookie cutter coach" to use a DP was AMC, Apollo and Blue Bird in 1983 and it was the 3208.  I had the 83' Apollo, until 87 and after driving for the day, you could not go near the back for about 2 hours, like a oven!  I remember my DW turning on both AC's with snow on the ground, then going outside to a bush, all 3 coaches was rear bath...only floor plan available for AMC, Apollo and Bird was rear bath, twin bunks, then kitchen and living area, 35 foot ! :)  By 85 the Bird was the only survivor.

Carl