Suzabelle

Heater Core Leaking

I have a 2000 Forest River Reflection on a Freightliner chassis and my heater core is leaking.  It is in a small compartment with the AC evaporator coil behind the front cap opening door..

I am looking for information on replacement procedures.

I have found a replacement heater and want to change it myself.  

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.

Suzabelle,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Much of the answer will depend on two things: what brand HVAC box was used AND what access Forest River left you to it.

A call to Forest River should be able to answer BOTH questions.

I did this exact job a few years ago so my memory may be a little bit fuzzy but here goes.

1. I tried to minimize the amount of antifreeze coming out of the inlet and outlet hoses connected to the core. I kept the inlet hose above the core once it was removed until I could remove the outlet hose. Once the two hoses were removed I joined them together temporarily with a short length of 1/2 inch copper tubing.

2. Next I removed the many steel tabs holding the front of the plenum cover to the back.

3. Open the plenum carefully so as not to destroy the AC hoses connected to the AC condensor.

4. Remove the old heater core. 

5. Install the new heater core.

6. Replace the plenum cover. I did not re-use the metal clips. Instead, I used 1/2 inch self-tapping screws around the complete perimeter of the plenum spacing them about 1 inch apart.

7. At this point you might want to enlist some help. Attach a temporary length of hosing to the inlet port of the heater core. You will use this to carefully and slowly pour antifreeze into the heater core until it comes out where the outlet hose connects to. Have your helper standing by holding the outlet hose and instruct them to place it onto the outlet port when the antifreeze starts to come out in a full stream. This is the tricky part because the two of you will be working in the same area with not much space. Once the outlet hose is on the port clamp it in place. Remove the temporary hose at the inlet port. Carefully, using funnel, fill the inlet hose with as much antifreeze as it will possible hold. Place your finger/thumb over the end of the inlet hose and position it close to the inlet port. Remove your finger and quickly place it over the port. Clamp the hose in place.The whole point of the above exercise is to minimize the amount of air being trapped in the antifreeze plumbing system. 

8. Run the coach until it is warm with the heater set to HIGH. It may take a while before you fell heat coming to the inside of the coach. If the heat never materializes you have an air trap and you'll need to bleed the antifreeze plumbing. I did not have any air traps when I did my replacement using the above method.

Good luck.

Canuck1473