StellersJay

Flat towing 2010 Toyota Corolla 5 speed

I'm new to the motor home community. I have been RVing for over 30 years, but we have always used a travel trailer, except for a couple of years in the 70s with a Class C. I will be flat towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla and know that the key must be in the "accessory" position and the manual transmission in neutral while being towed.

1) Should I remove a fuse(s) while towing? What are the ramifications with the systems in the car (radio, clock, etc.).

--or--

2) Should I just live with the current draw with the key in the accessory position and run the car at the end of the day to recharge the battery?

I would appreciate any comments you might have on this topic.

Sam Smith

I'm new to the motor home community. I have been RVing for over 30 years, but we have always used a travel trailer, except for a couple of years in the 70s with a Class C. I will be flat towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla and know that the key must be in the "accessory" position and the manual transmission in neutral while being towed.

1) Should I remove a fuse(s) while towing? What are the ramifications with the systems in the car (radio, clock, etc.).

--or--

2) Should I just live with the current draw with the key in the accessory position and run the car at the end of the day to recharge the battery?

I would appreciate any comments you might have on this topic.

Sam Smith

Sam,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Best advice on towing is to start by reading the owners manual towing section very carefully. If questions, call Toyota.

Though someone may have a similar model, running changes are made that may make advice less than accurate for yours.

As an example, Ford changed the steering column in the Ford Focus between 2007 and 2008 . In 2007, you could/should tow with the key in the OFF position. Do that with a 2008 and the steering locks up!

Another option, particularly if you will be using an auxiliary brake in the toad is to run one additional wire from coach to toad to keep the battery charged while towing. Be sure BOTH ends of the wire are fused, as both ends will be hot. And if you will be leaving the coach to toad wiring connected overnight, a diode so the car battery does not try to charge the coach battery if you are boondocking.

Brett Wolfe

Brett, thanks for your reply. I had checked my manual earlier and all they say is to leave the key in "accessory", transmission in neutral, and run for about five minutes at the end of the tow day. Since I have a charge line from the MH to the toad, I guess removing a fuse is a moot point. I will make sure the heater/AC fan is off as well as the radio.

Next thing I want to check is if I rack up mileage on the toad while it is being towed.

Sam