Sign in to follow this  
rcoon2

Engine Temperature Sensor Testing

Hello everyone,

I need to know how to test a temperature sensor on my 1995 Beaver Marquis with a CAT 3176B SN 9CK15314.

Back story: my cat overheats periodically and i have determined that the hydraulic cooling fan does not switch to HIGH when reaching/exceeding 215 degrees. I know the fan works on high because when i unplug the  (two wire) electrical control line going to my hydraulic switching box it immediately goes into the spectacular roar of high mode. This leads me to believe the input signal to the solenoid is missing, enter the temperature sensor.

I will include a pic of what and where i believe to be the temp sensor. I need to know what kind of resistance readings I should see from a functional sensor. From what I understand the sensor has two set temps 195 degrees and 215 degrees. there are three pins in the connector presumably one for 195 a second for 215 and one for ground or input voltage not sure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

IMG_20170304_163013348_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170304_162827207_HDR.jpg

Quite likely you will need to get that information from a Caterpillar dealership/ shop manual.

And, that assumes that the fan controller is controlled by that sensor. Since the chassis maker installed the hydraulic fan system, they are the ones who generally spec the temperature sensor.