vpicci@verizon.net

I-10 campgrounds

We like the following out west:

Ft. Stockton KOA, TX great cafe, you will need satellite tv

Las Cruces NM KOA clean, neat, wonderful view of city esp. at night, close to town and good restaurants

Butterfield's RV, Benson AZ very nice, neat, lots of amenities, somewhat cramped for long pull thru, walk to restaurants & Safeway

the above are overnight stays, not destinations [exc. Butterfield's for sites in area]. Suggest you go to http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ and search for more detail and more parks

Guest Wayne77590

Vpicci,

Don't know what else to call you as your profile is empty, Here is a method that I use.

First, it would be impossible to list all those CG that are available along I-10. As suggested, the RV Park Reviews web site is a good model to make a decision. One must remember that reviews are in the "eyes" of the story teller. One bad review most likely does not mean that the park is bad, but just that the individual writing the review had a bad experience. On the other hand, if there are many bad reviews stating the same problems, then the park may be on the list of ones to avoid unless it is the only thing in that area.

Now, to get to how I determine approximately where I want to stop, and I use the 250 mile guide line also. I go to the web site Bing Maps (used to be Microsoft's maps.live.com.) Once there, put in your home address in the "bing" search line. Once your address is viewable (zoom to a comfortable level and adjust accordingly) Now, in that same "bing" searh line, type in the word "campground," or "rv park," or "rv resort," without the quotes. The map will populate with what you have requested i the search string. Move the map in the direction that you want to go and see what campgrounds are available. Hoover over a particular number on the map that has appeared and see what it has to offer. You may be able to go to the CG web site, or to a "street" view. Once on street view, look at the "aerial" drop down to see if there is a "birdseye" view. If you like what you have read or seen, jump over to the RV Park reviews and see what is said about that CG. Or, ask on the forum for specifics on that campground.

Good luck.

Happy trails.

Hello vpicci,

For campground information, you can't beat the Trailer Life Directory. It will tell you which campgrounds are closed or have limited facilities this time of year. It also lists rates, size of campsites, number and condition of campsites, utilities available including 30A or 50A electric, etc. It is paper instead of computer but your nagivator can grab it while you're driving and look up a campsite while on the run. We avoid KOA's like the plague but if you like them, they're in there. If you use the state maps in the front of the book you can quickly see where campgrounds are located along any given highway all across the state. Then look them up by the city name given. For towns near the interstate they will usually give directions and distances from the interstate highway so you know how far off the route you're going to get there.

Woodall's is also a good resource but they don't include rates for all parks. Another good resource is The Next Exit. If you are on the interstate, it will help you find fuel, groceries, Wal-Mart, etc.!