FNAAP@aol.com

Driveshaft Disconnect vs Lube Pump

Looking at different vehicles to use as a toad, there are several that would be great around town that are RWD. Checking Remco's site I find that some need a lube pump and others use a driveshaft disconnect. I would think that the driveshaft disconnect route would be pretty bullet proof, while a lube pump would still have the tranny turning causing some level of wear?

Any thoughts and comments about your experiences of one vs the other, and about Remco products in general, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Looking at different vehicles to use as a toad, there are several that would be great around town that are RWD. Checking Remco's site I find that some need a lube pump and others use a driveshaft disconnect. I would think that the driveshaft disconnect route would be pretty bullet proof, while a lube pump would still have the tranny turning causing some level of wear?

Any thoughts and comments about your experiences of one vs the other, and about Remco products in general, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Some more information on what vehicles you are considering may elicit more comments.

Also, to they fall within the towing capacity and GCWR of your coach?

Brett Wolfe

Hi Dan,

I do not use either of these products. To actually answer one of your questions, Remco products have an excellent reputation. I say this because I see no trend setting negative comments on the RV forums. I do read positive comments.

Dan,

Some more information on what vehicles you are considering may elicit more comments.

Also, to they fall within the towing capacity and GCWR of your coach?

Brett Wolfe

Brett,

As always, good points in your replies. Thanks.

The only towing I did with our previous rig, a 32H Pace, was an open race trailer, so having a toad to run around in is a new deal for me. Our new rig is a Phaeton 40QTH so GCWR won't be an issue. Several friends have recommended what they tow (imagine that.. lol), CRV's, Rav4's, Scions, etc. I like the idea of a SUV, but I'm thinking I'd like to have something a notch or two bigger than the CRV or Rav4 but not as big as my Suburban. I'm also a "K.I.S.S" guy, so a 4WD probably wouldn't be my first choice and having an automatic would make life easier for my wife (she can drive a stick, but that DEFINITELY wouldn't be her first choice).

With all of that in mind, I've seen some nice Pilots, Highlanders, Grand Cherokees, etc, but according to Remco's site, some would need a lube pump and others a drive shaft disconnect. Not having any experience with either, I'm trying to do my homework and get it right the first time.

Thanks again

Before "settling" for a vehicle that requires either a transmission pump or drive shaft disconnect, you might want to go through the FMCA Towing Guides to see if any vehicles that are towable 4 wheels down would fit your needs.

http://www.fmca.com/index.php/magazine/tow...04-towing-index

Remco products are good, but if either device fails you are into major expense that does not fall within warranty coverage.

Transmission pumps are prone to some incident of failure, as a failure of toad battery power or the pump or plumbing from transmission to pump to transmission can cause transmission failure.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks for the inputs re Remco. Since a number of their links take you to Blue Ox and since I've seen almost nothing negative about Blue Ox products in the forums, I was hoping that was the case.

I've been looking at the FMCA towing guides and a couple from other sources, and all of them are pretty close but there are a few in Remco's list that don't show up in the others. The potential problems you mentioned with a lube pump set-up are the things I was wondering about, and to me look like they would be much more likely to occur than a problem with a simple mechanical set-up like a driveshaft disconnect.

If anyone has used, or is using a disconnect, let me know if you'd do it again...or if you wish you had a 'do-over'.

Thanks all

Dan

Dan,

The primary reason that FMCA's list and several others have fewer vehicles that can be towed 4 wheels down is that these lists are obtained from the vehicle manufacturers.

So they contain both mechanical "reasoning" and legal/liability "reasoning." As an example, some Ford and Mazda products share the same platforms, but Mazda does not recommend towing while Ford does.

Clearly, on a new vehicle with manufacturer's warranty, some weight must be given to the warranty implications of towing a vehicle that the manufacturer does not recommend towing.

Brett Wolfe

Brett,

I thought about that and that's why I started my research with the FMCA guides, but I'm leaning towards getting something that's two or three yrs old with low miles.

In the different forums I've seen folks talking about vehicles that aren't on the lists and how much they like a _____ as a toad, and that's what got me looking beyond what's shown on the different towing guides. I still may wind up getting one that's on the guides, but since our new coach won't get here until early Feb., I figured I'd use the time to look at other options as well.

Again, I appreciate your input and if at some point you think I've come down with a case of cranial-rectus-insertus, don't be bashful in telling me. :rolleyes:

Dan

Brett,

Again, I appreciate your input and if at some point you think I've come down with a case of cranial-rectus-insertus, don't be bashful in telling me. :rolleyes:

Dan

Nope, you are doing it exactly the way I would. Research and then purchase what fits your needs.

Much better than buying and then HOPING you can rig it to tow.

Brett

How about a Jeep Liberty? Get the 4wd version. I you know you want to KISS but this really is it. We bought a new one in 2005 and it has been a great rig. You can get a V6, auto with 4WD used for an excellent price. With the Jeeps you only need to put the transfer case in neutral and you can then tow them 4-down. Also if you find a V6, Auto with the tow package it is rated for 5000lb towing! We tow ours behind our rig and use it to pull our 3700lb bass boat to the lake. The 4WD has been great for the snow around here when we get it or slippery boat launches. They were also rated a "best buy" for used vehicles by Consumers Reports