hayesfamily

Onan Marquis 7000 bad but not too bad

Went to hit the generator Sunday after church and it didn't start. Thought to myself this can't be good and indeed it is not.

Figured I would post this in the event someone else experiences what I'm about to go through and maybe can give experiances, encouragement or help.

I have to replace the starter on this generator because time corrosion and heat got the best of it and the bolt on the starter motor that carries the 12 volts melted and is no longer usable. The wire going from the solenoid to the starter seems to be fine except it needs a new end nevertheless the starter has to come out. The generator is mounted on the driver side rear of a 99 Fleetwood Bounder. The generator is not in a slide section and though it seems like the generator has to come out to access the starter it does not. Little back story ...

I shot an email to someone asking Had he ever pulled out a generator to access the starter or is there another way to do it without pulling the entire generator out. I am not interested in giving Cummins $700 to do it for a $30 starter. Never-the-less he said no so I'm thinking I have to pay somebody to do this.

After a few minutes of oh God why me something just told me to see if I could physically touch the starter. Once I realized I could physically touch it the rest kind of progressed easy ... just make sure you disconnect whatever source of power you have so you don't mistakenly electrocute yourself.

1. If there's clearance above the starter where you can lift it above the generator or bring it to the side, stick a ratchet an appropriate sized socket on the top bolt and loosen the bolt but be careful not to drop the nut on the other side. 

2. From the bottom you should be able to see the bottom bolt. In my case there were two access holes where I could put a 14-inch extension on the appropriate socket and loosen that Bolt.

3. Once the bottom bolt was ready to come out I made sure that I caught the nut and remove that bolt setting it to the side.

4. Next I went back to the top of the generator and remove the top bolt catching that nut. At this point the starter is going to drop into your hand

5. At that point I gently brought the starter around to the side of the generator and it was out.

6. That wire that corroded is attached to the solenoid that sits right behind the Run Stop button. Take that panel off and the solenoid sits right there. One side is marked battery the other side is marked starter.

CAUTION  if you have to change the 12 volt wire going to the starter my suggestion is to bolt it to the starter first and melt the starter because it is easier to mount that wire to the starter while it's in your hand then it is to do it while it's attached to the generator. If you do not have to change the wire then you may be able to get away with leaving it attach to the Phil annoyed but if it becomes a headache a problem or a hassle or if there's any corrosion that will prevent it from being removed then you may have to disconnect that wire at the solenoid.

Hope this helps.bounder (8).jpg

0410171307.jpg

0410171513.jpg

0410171519.jpg

bounder (37).jpg