shragapier@msn.com

Destination suggestions

Question

My name is Pier.

My family and me have 10 days available in February and we are looking for some suggestions for destination. We are 40 years old couple with two boys 7 & 11 y/o. Last year at this time we drove to Disney's Wilderness Resort. We are traveling with a 37ft class A.

EDITING: We are from Paramus NJ

8 answers to this question

There are so many wonderful places. However, you do not list any information in your profile, so I don't know where your starting point may be.

Lots of great places out here in the West for a February trip.

Since Disney Wilderness Resort is in Florida, I would guess you are somewhere in the eastern or southeastern US. Given the age of your boys, you might enjoy a few days at Sea World in Orlando. We took our daughter there many years ago. Lately she took our 8 year old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter and they really enjoyed the visit. If they are interested in space travel, the Kennedy Space Center might be fun for them. With luck you might even get to see a launch. Just hanging out along the coast, picking up shells on the beach and/or fishing could be fun.

I'm sure that others from the southeast will have further suggestions. If I'm wrong about where you live, let us know and we'll have some other suggestions.

With ten days available you aren't going to escape the cold weather without driving most of the days so how about a skiing vacation in the northeast? If you don't know how to ski, take the boys and you can all learn together. Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate NY all have ski resorts. You may or may not be able to find one with an RV Park that is open this time of year. You could also do some winter hiking. Find some interesting short trails. I don't know any boys who would pass up the chance to plow through snow on a hike for a few hours.

If the weather is good, the outer banks of NC might be fun. There are RV parks there that are open year round. You could do the beach thing there though not as good as Florida. You might be able to play some golf and get the boys started with golf or tennis. Kitty Hawk is pretty adult but the boys could see where the Wright Brothers took their first flight. South Carolina also has summer beach resorts that are begging for tourists during the winter.

Going west to Hershey, PA might be fun for the boys. The amusement park is likely closed but I think there are still winter activities there. Baltimore has a great aquarium. I've found our children love zoos and aquariums. Washington, DC is a little too adult for your seven year old but you might find something at the Smithsonian that would entertain them.

Do a science museum tour, Philadelphia has the Franklin Institute, lots of hands on stuff there. Check out the science museum in Baltimore. Most large cities have science museums. Many are very hands on oriented. Look into children's museums also. We love the one in Indianapolis, great dinosaur stuff, lots of things for the kids to manipulate, do, dress up, etc. The Boston Science Museum has a fantastic static electric show and is a very fine museum.

If I think of more, I'll add them later.

Hi Pier,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Excluding Florida, please consider:

1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina Even in the off season, there is plenty to do. Shows to attend, miniature golf and a variety of other tourist attractions. Many CGs to choose from.

2. Pigeon Forge, Tennessee This is a "G" rated community. Many shows to attend and other kid related activities. Many CGs to choose from.

3. Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee - Tourist activities center around country music. Memphis has all the Elvis Presley attractions.

These places are all accessible via the Interstate highway system.

How about Washington, DC? There is a very good RV park close to the Loop Road and convenient to transportation into the city--Cherry Hill Park. Open all year.