sloanpb@bellsouth.net

Electric water heater short

We were having trouble with the hot water heater tripping the circuit breaker intermittently over the last two trips we took. Well, yesterday we took the RV out of storage, and at the campground the water heater would immediately trip the circuit breaker each time we tried to turn it on. Then, it caused the pedestal to trip.

We took it in for service this morning. They saw the problem, and then they said that they couldn't get the generator to run for more than two minutes. It seems there is a serious problem. There is a short in the line which also caused part of the power managment system control board to burn out. I found it odd in as much as every other 120v AC device in the coach works fine and I still get a green light reading on my control panel in the front console.

So, now they tell me they are going to have to both replace the control panel board and take the water heater out to find the short. Needless to say the next question was whether we had an extended warranty which we do, but had hoped not to have to use it in a coach only a year old. They say that they have seen this happen once:(

So, here we sit waiting ... we were supposed to leave in the morning to head west ...

Anyone have something like this happen?

Sounds like maybe the electric heating element in the water tank could be burned out. Would be my first guess before I let someone pull the whole unit out.

You didn't mention the make or model of RV or the type of water heater, generator, etc. Would be helpful.

Hi iradi8,

I'm sorry for this late reply. If there is still time, ask the tech to disconnect and remove the WH heating element. Leave it disconnected. Turn on the WH. Does the circuit breaker still trip? If the element is the problem, the circuit breaker will not trip. If the breaker still trips, there is indeed a short somewhere.