genenick

Installing New Circuit for Hot Water Heater

I have a 2006 Damon Challenger 372W that I want to install a Hott Rod Hot Water element on. I have been looking at ways to do this and due to existing circuits I feel that the best way to accomplish this is to install a new circuit. The breaker box on this unit is dead center at the rear of the coach. The hotwater heater is starboard side approx 20' from the rear. My thoughts now are to install a new breaker in the box and run 12/2 wire to a new receptacle in the bathroom cabinet where the hotwater heater is located. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and/or is there a better/easier way to do what I need to do. Any and all comments are appreiciated. A FYI is I spent 30+ years in the electronics / electrcial field and was trained in EET along with USAF training in avionics radar so theory wise I know what I am doing. I'm looking for ideas in the physical installation or some short cuts that someone else may know or have experienced. One of my favorite sayings is, "You don't know what you don't know." Feel free to contact me via email at judgegenenichols@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Gene

Gene,

I would wire it as you outline but use a GFI outlet because you are working around water.

And, neither Atwood nor Suburban recommend the installation of a Hott Rod. It will increase the galvanic reaction, particularly in the Aluminum tanked Atwood.

Brett Wolfe

Greetings Brett,

Yes I did order a GFI breaker for this circuit. I did notice Atwood did not advise doing so due to galvanic reasons; however if they had so many concerns why didn't they place an anode rod in their tank? I figure they want you to spend the money on an electric/LP tank instead of the upgrade. When (or if) replacement this tank happens, I will replace this unit with the Elec/LP feature. Thanks for the response.

Gene

Guest 2driftrs

Gene, we installed a Hott Rod heater in our rig almost 10 years ago. About the only problem we've encountered is deposits (usually lime) on the Hott Rod heating element itself.

Word of caution - - I don't know about your coach, but ours had very little room to install the heater. Because it replaces the drain plug, and because most drain plugs are mounted near the bottom of the tank, you might find out that you can't get the 5 inch long element into the tank.

2driftrs - There was plenty of room to insert the element. I need to put it on a yearly checklist to remove & check for deposits. How did you run your electrical? There is one plug in the bathroom; however if it is used for the HottRod that will max it out while the water temp is low. There is one other circuit in the belly for the outside plug. I have thought about using that one. There is one other that is used for the battery charger, but the factory blocked out the other half of the plug to make it a dedicated circuit. It is a long run from the breaker box to the hot water heater.... Thanks for the reply. Gene

Guest 2driftrs

Gene, we tied ours into the outside outlet circuit for 2 reasons - - first, we rarely ever use the outside outlet. Second, the outside outlet was located very close to the hot water heater. This outlet was on a 15 amp breaker, and the only other thing tied to the breaker was the TV outlet in the bedroom. Well, we don't have a TV in the bedroom, the heater only draws 3 amps, and the outside outlet was accessible behind a drawer under the wardrobe, so this was kind of a no-brainer. For only 3 amps, I ran #14 wire. Running #12 is overkill.

Guest 2driftrs

Hey, Gene, just so I don't mislead you, the new ones draw about 4 amps because they're rated 450 watts. 450 divided by 120 volts equals about 4 amps. Ten years ago, they were rated 360 watts. And Brett is right, the 10 gallon jobs draw 6 amps. But given your electrical/electronics background, I'm sure you'll know what gauge wire to use.

I ran the calculation and it called for #14; however I always like to plan ahead so I bought #12. My plan is to put a duplex breaker with a switch with indicating light for the hot water leg. Now I have an extra plug under the sink on a seperate circuit for a "just in case". You never know what the future holds.....

Guest 2driftrs

You're sure right about the future - - about clear as mud. Jan and I just listed the house again with another realtor. Been trying to retire and go full time for the last year, but need to dump the house first. Been a pleasure, your honor.

Installed the Hott Rod in the hot water tank earlier today. Pressured up the water system to make sure there were no leaks and then plugged it in. Went back and checked on it about 90 minutes later and had a full tank of hot water. I was surprised that it heated up to temp so fast. I'm a pleased customer. I'll finish up the electrical touch up later this week. Thanks for all the input. Gene