Sign in to follow this  
pianodan

Don't drive by GPS alone....

Um, Yeah, looks like mere stupidity was involved here and the GPS is just an excuse. Looks like speed was an issue on an unfamiliar road and failure to obey the warning signs. From the pictures showed in the article it appears that the trestle is visible from a distance far enough to stop if one was paying attention.

However blindly trusting GPS technology is not a good idea. At least 2 other parties recently found themselves stuck in the snow on back roads not meant for winter travel in Oregon because they trusted their GPS more than using a little sense.

Beyond that there is a company that sells a subscription service which provides low clearance information that is downloadable into most GPSs which will warn over sized rigs of their location and height. Can't remember though what it was but I think there was a post about it here on the forum just recently.

Guest Wayne77590

The only one to blame there is the driver.

I always check out the Low Clearances of the AITA web site whenever I'm gong to be off an interstate. I also pay attention to the little yellow signs on the side of the road, and on the overpass.

That was just plain stupidity on the driver's part.

Well I am certainly not defending this driver but have to admit that I too have done something similar not on this level but..................many years ago in our first RV a Coachmen Mirada we were in Estes Park, Colo going to get gas at a local station, my wife told me just before we pulled in that she didnt thing we would fit under the awning of the gas station. With all my expertise I reassured her that, "dont worry Honey, we will be fine" I figured our rig would fit (but forgot about the extra height of the ac units). Just as I hear the "crunch" I was already dreding hearing those famous words come out of her mouth "I told you so"

By now there were several people arleady gathering around pointing and laughing. After having to let the air out of the tires enough to be able to back out, (destroying one ac unit) I suffered much humiliation and certainly now pay "much" attention to height restriction signs posted everywhere and anywhere

I've had several experiences with low clearance bridges and overpasses. Long before I had GPS we took a small road across Pennsylvania to a campground in SE PA. Going through a small town the road made several turns, went across a railroad track and turned again. A little way down the road was a sign posting a clearance of 9 feet at a railroad overpass. Needless to say I stopped - but where to turn around? There was a company with a fair sized parking lot and I pulled in there but couldn't turn around without disconnecting the toad, repositioning and then hooking up again - in a light rain. We returned to the nearest main highway and made our way the long way around.

Crossing upstate New York several years ago we got on the New York Turnpike. It was posted for no trucks but didn't mention RV's. Nothing was mentioned about clearance restrictions. The first bridge we came to was posted 12 feet. We are closer to 13 feet tall. Luckily the bridges were arched and we were able to get under about three of them by driving in the center of the roadway before we were able to exit.

Just after we got our current coach in 2004 we stopped at a campground on the gulf in Corpus Christi, TX. Leaving the campground we turned toward the northbound highway which took us back southbound after passing under an overpass. We had entered at a driveway that was after the bridge height posting. I scraped the dish dome on the bridge. I stopped afterward and it had caved in the top of the dome. That afternoon when we stopped I got up on the roof and removed the dome. Everything inside was undamaged and I was able to pop out the dome so the only damage were a few deep scratches. We traded off that unit for a new one last summer at the Monaco Pre-Rally for the Bowling Green FMCA Convention.

In Canada, now following the GPS we came to a bridge with a 12'6" clearance near London, ON. I stopped and had Louise take the drivers seat. I climbed up on the ladder at the rear of the coach and watched as we passed under the bridge in the center of the roadway. I had her dump the airbags before we squeeked under. We had several inches to spare!

The latest (not the last I'm sure) event occurred two years ago. Again, following the GPS, we were taking the short route from College Station, TX to Austin. Shortly before getting to a larger road we made a turn and were about a quarter mile down the road when we come to a posted height of 12 feet for a railroad overpass. There was no turn around from the sign to the bridge so we were pretty much stuck. I decided we would try the air bag dump before unhooking and backing up to get around the overpass. With the airbags dumped we had several inches to spare. Standing on the ladder with the 2 way radio I gave Louise driving directions. I did have to tell her to be easy on the brakes as the coach would bob down and then back up in front when she hit the brakes hard. Again we were able to clear that bridge. This event turned out to be a good thing...

When I climbed the ladder I noticed that the lateral brace for the Raodmaster tow bar was broken. After we got clear of the overpass I pulled into a parking lot and we disconnected the toad. We stopped at the Camping World north of San Antonio and they had a replacement for the broken part. We replaced it and hooked up ready to complete our trip to south Texas for the winter.

All these events are a result of my penchant for avoiding the fast lane. Interstate and major highways are the sure way to avoid the low clearances but the smaller roads are much more interesting. I'm sure we'll encounter more low clearances in future years. I will pick up on the GPS file of low clearances Wayne posted above and we do use a truckers atlas which has a listing of low clearances for truck routes. It would be nice if low clearances were posted at a point that allowed a turn around before encountering the obstacle.

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

I don't think I want to follow you, but then again, if you make it, I can at 12' 4".

With that said, do the other members of the forum know what their height is?

Also, the AITA web site with the low clearances is has a disclaimer. Even though they ask for corrections, it may not be as accurate as one would like. But then, neither is a book that comes out once a year, as heights can change.

An example is on a re-surfaced road. It can add two inches to the entrance and exit of the overpass. The signs at these locations are "supposed" to be changed to reflect the new height.

If it's close - stop and look like Tom did.

Happy trails.