Sign in to follow this  
kalynzoo

Puerto Penasco Question

We are thinking of Puerto Penasco the end of February. This would be our third trip down in five years.

However, the last report from fellow RVers in the area implied that the town was very quiet, with one person reporting they were the only group in a popular restaurant one evening. Really don't like going to a restaurant and finding I am part of the only small group.

We would probably try to get back to Playa Bonita with at least one other couple, since the Reef also appears rather empty.

Would appreciate any reports from anyone RVing in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico.

Thanks,

Gary

We were there first week of April. Things a little slow and they now have the Malacon[fish market]area all tore up suppose to be finished soon. Playa Bonita about half full. We went down thru San Luis and picked up the new road hwy 3 at El-Golfo. The only problem was it is a toll road and cost $20.00. Also coming back this way the border was backed up for maybe a mile. I am looking for a better way to come across back to the U.S.A. Someone suggested going down to Alcadonas and come back across there

We were there first week of April. Things a little slow and they now have the Malacon[fish market]area all tore up suppose to be finished soon. Playa Bonita about half full. We went down thru San Luis and picked up the new road hwy 3 at El-Golfo. The only problem was it is a toll road and cost $20.00. Also coming back this way the border was backed up for maybe a mile. I am looking for a better way to come across back to the U.S.A. Someone suggested going down to Alcadonas and come back across there

Before you use Algadonas, check to ensure your motorhome will fit through their portal. Granted, it has been two years since I visited Algadonas but I would have had a hard time getting my 31 ft with toad through town. I had two choices. It was a 90 degree left turn to line up along the border fence. I could either pull in and block traffic for some time or wait. If you wait, cars keep cutting in front of you. At the actual boader gate, it is a near 90 degree right turn., This one is easier but the gates are tight.

My experience at San Luis is not good. Crossing north was a pain. The crew was new and they exercised every possible search. Even made a big deal over a case of empty Costco beer bottles. The man couldn't conceive anyone would bring empties back to recycle rather than toss them on the beach. We discussed the point with his supervisor who took over the search and was done in 15 minutes. This after almost 90 minutes of frustration. The frustration was not over the search but the lack of motorhome knowledge the man had. He looked in all the obvious places but didn't have a clue and didn't want to know about the cavernous spaces under the bed. Another waste of Government resources. My experience at Lukeville has been great. Good road, easy crossing and little traffic. Going back to San Luis, I understand there is a problem at El Golfo and that might be the reason for the super surveillance.

I do not recall the road from Puerto Penasco to San Luis being a toll road. Occasionally is was covered with blown sand but it was a great drive on a superb road and much shorter for me that through Lukeville. If uncomfortable on Mexican roads, the quickest way back to Norte Americano land is through Lukeville.

We live on the border. I see Tijuana from the house. Mexican tourism, at least in the northwestern part, is dead. Perhaps this is a good time to visit. We enjoy PP and will return in 2013. One last piece of experience. If you drive down the Baja, don't even slow down until you get south of Ensenada. If you stop at Puerto Nuevo for lobster, do it during the day and get back on the road before dark. There are a few small RV parks on the north side of Ensenada that are quaint and safe. My personal favorite is Hotel California, near the junction of Hwy 1 and 3 (I think 3 but it is the road to Tecate). It isn't suitable for rigs over 34 feet or so. If empty, he will accept anything that pays and you will fit. If full, no chance. I've generally been the only rig there.

Tecate is another fair crossing and the drive from Ensenada is pretty with little challenge. You will travel through the wine district and pass beautiful vineyards and wineries. Stop and sample. In the village of San Frisco Zarco, you will find two RV parks. Neither are even close to full service but do have water. Driving north, the first is a commercial party park owned by a Mexican American. Great guy if a little distant. The grounds are pretty. The second is called Rancho del Mundo (watch the aging memory). It is owned by a church run deaf school. They charge by donation, whatever you think fair. Park and someone will drive down to talk with you sometime. You get electricity (sometimes) and water after talking. If you have some clothes or school supplies to donate, they appreciate the gifts.

If the Tecate port is backed up blocking roads, sometimes the Mexican Police will send RVs another route that cuts the line somewhat. They will keep you waiting for an undetermined amount of time, whatever they think fair, and then simply stop traffic and let you in. I've never tried and have been advised against it but continually hear about the value of a $10 bill in expediting your entry in the line. You are in view of the US authorities here and that might just be the ticket to added surveillance.

I hope this is useful. This type information is time sensitive. The newest information presented here is two years old.

The village along highway 3 I referred to is Francisco Zarco. Sorry for the mistake. No one refers to the village by that name. They simply refer to the valley name which escapes me for now. There is a world-class gourmet restaurant in the village. They do not advertise and to look at the place, a small house, is uninspiring. Google the area and you can find it. Reservations are required. I was not disappointed three years ago. Visit the wineries. Though the locals do not pay attention to the stop signs, Norte Americanos should obey each one religiously. Fines help pay for the signs.

Was in Rocky Point with 12 other RV's, 5 CL A's, rest trailers, this March. Went thru Lukevill, AZ and had traffic (Spring Brake) but no problems.

Tight in Sonyoya, but Hwy 8 is good all the way down. Lots of people everywhere in Rocky Point and now they have Wall Mart/Sam's.

Note. No meat, veg., or fruit across Mexican boarder...their Ag. Dept. is active at boarder.