Sign in to follow this  
mweiner

How Often, What Do You Use For Cleaning & Sanitizing Tanks?

How do you treat and sanitize your fresh, grey and black water tanks..?  We use the typical freshners in the toilet as well...

And, how often do you do this?? I'm concerned about any build up of stuff in the tanks...

On my RS Adventurous,  I put a chemical in the toilet or fresh water and flush the toilet or run the water through the sink and dump the tanks...

There's no convenient valve to dump the tanks for the fresh water...or it wasn't obvious to me on my rig...

Dumping the tanks through the hose is pretty easy...Is that what you do?? After we returned from our long journey, I ran water through the system by filling up the fresh water and doing this three times....

We normally drink bottled water on trips... 

I use the Geo Method for my black tank and sanitize my fresh water tank using bleach once or twice a season. You can do a forum or Google search for specifics. 

I sanitize the fresh water once in the spring, I use two filters, one at the campground water outlet and then a 5 micron carbon filter onboard. As far as black tank, there are many different chemicals and bio additives, the most important thing is to use PLENTY of water and try not to dump your black tank until it’s at least half full, this helps prevent the dreaded pyramid .

grey tanks can smell pretty rank too, a few times during our travels in the summer I will add a couple of cups of dishwasher detergent to the tank and fill it 2/3 full , drive to our next stop and then dump, you can do this for the black as well. Some folks use a strong pine cleaner in the tanks as well.