Sign in to follow this  
NWJeeper

Replacing Converter/Charger

I'm very close now to changing out the Parallax Converter/charger that came in our rig which is only a 2 stage charger with a WFCO or PDI/charge wizard converter/charger. Both seem to get good praise. Anyone here have one of these? How do you like them. We do a lot of dry camping and have a 6-6V deep cycle battery bank (Trojan T125s) and 260W solar charging capacity. Input for either of these units would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

NW - I am a big fan of PDs, and that's because I believe they have the best technology for the price. I like the 'CHARGE WIZARD' they provide which allows you to change the charging method to suit your current needs. There are folks who will argue that other brands are just as good, but I don't agree. I believe PD is top of the line, particularly considering the price!

Thanks Nbounder. I will be making the call later today to order a converter and the PD is the one I was leaning towards because of the CW.

I appreciate your input.

I'm very close now to changing out the Parallax Converter/charger that came in our rig which is only a 2 stage charger with a WFCO or PDI/charge wizard converter/charger. Both seem to get good praise. Anyone here have one of these? How do you like them. We do a lot of dry camping and have a 6-6V deep cycle battery bank (Trojan T125s) and 260W solar charging capacity. Input for either of these units would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

go for it good product I have one and iam very satified. Big Al w1adc

Thanks guys, just installed the PDI 9270 the other day. Kept an eye on it with the Trimetric 2025 that I installed and it's working great, just as advertised. Now I feel confident that when we leave home for a dry camping trip we have fully charged batteries.

Thanks guys, just installed the PDI 9270 the other day. Kept an eye on it with the Trimetric 2025 that I installed and it's working great, just as advertised. Now I feel confident that when we leave home for a dry camping trip we have fully charged batteries.

My only comment would be to be sure and check out going with a true/pure sine wave inverter. It's much better for your electronic equipment, including electric blankets, electric tooth brushes, entertainment systems, etc...

-- jcw FMC#399834

Guest BillAdams
My only comment would be to be sure and check out going with a true/pure sine wave inverter. It's much better for your electronic equipment, including electric blankets, electric tooth brushes, entertainment systems, etc...

-- jcw FMC#399834

A converter/charger is not an inverter. It supplies clean 12V power to those units when plugged into shore power and recharges the batteries, usually in a 3-stage process, to ensure optimal charge levels and battery life. If you want to provide 120V power to other equipment you would need to install an inverter or run a generator.

Yes I alread have a Xantrex Prosine 1000 installed. It was the converter/charger that I replaced.

Two part reply: Converters (Without inverters) I really like the Progressive Dynamics 9100 with optional charge wizard or the 9200 line (Which has the wizard already inside) Both are outstanding converters and I give them top marks. I will say however that far as I know the Charge Wizard is pre-set for flooded wet cells only and can not easily be modified.. Why they don't make one for AGM batteries I do not know since it's a matter of calibration, not parts.

Inverter/Chargers.. I use a Xantrex Prosine 2.0.. And though I really like it it too belongs is part of a class and there are several others just as good.. I will tell you what I like about it.

1: True sine wave inverter... Thus EVERYTHING works just like it does if I plug it in at home. No problems with wonky clocks or overheated transformers or hum or buzz in the audio or distortion of pictures. I mean if it works on shore power and draws less than 2,000 watts.. it works on Xantrex Prosine power.

(MSW inverters are cheaper but due to the "Stair Step" waveform they may cause digital clocks to run faster, Microwaves to cook slower, hum in the audio (Radio/Television/CD) distortion on the TV screen or in some cases just plain shut down some devices, They also cause a whole lot of radio interference, AM radio is usually wiped out and I've read of even Satellite (Microwave) signals being jammed by a MSW inverter.. I have some very senistive radios (Kenwood TS-2000 ham rig) in the motor home and it really loves my Prosine, not that it uses it, but they share a few wires... Like the ground)

2: Charger: The charger in the Prosine is a temperature compensated 3 stage plus, and it is VERY EASILY re-configured for different battery types (It has a whole bunch pre-configured and you can then modify

The 3 stages are BULK, A very fast (high current) recharge of a battery that needs it, This brings the batteries up to around 90%, Normally in about 2 hours (or less) if they are half full.. You can also adjust the "Battery size" so that if you have less than 300 amp hours of batteries (It likes 400 or more) it does not charge them to fast.

ABSORPTION: a much slower (lower amprage) "Top off" of a battery that is at least 90% full This may be 10 amps or less and take several (4-6) hours to fully top off your batteries, but this is the way it should be done

FLOAT: A lower voltage that ideally (From the battery's point of view) results in ZERO current flow

And on manual request... EQUALIZE,, This is a controlled overcharge which has some benefits (on occasion) for primarily flooded wet cells (Like golf car batteries) it stirs things up in the battery and makes sure ALL cells are 100% full charge.... AGM batteries are not so needy in this regard (But do seem to benefit on rare occasions)

Plus as I said, it will automatically adjust the charge voltages to compensate for differences in the weather.. A hot battery (Say 80 degrees in the shade) needs a different charge voltage than one where you are ice skating, and the Prosine can adjust automatically.. Very nice device..

Finally it's remote panel,, Gives you a whole bunch of information that's useful

ANd last, since it's an "in-line" device (Takes 120vac in and passes it on if it's clean) when the power fails. the TV does not even blink as the inverter kicks in.. Very nice.

However... That is only if you wish an inverter.