jkfilson

Exhaust inside towed vehicle

I tow a 2008 Honda CR-V behind a 2006 Winnebago Journey (diesel). I have a problem with exhaust fumes and fine soot entering the Honda while towing. I turn off the a/c switch and place the air switch in the recirculate position so supposedly now air enters the car's cockpit. However, I continue to get the soot from the motorhome exhaust inside the car. Any ideas how to stop this?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Some intrusion of exhaust-ladened air into the toad is normal given the location of the exhaust exit on many coaches.

If you re-orient your exhaust to the side (vs back) it will materially lessen the amount that affects the toad.

And with any diesel, make sure your air filter minder reading (reads restriction in the air cleaner and all "plumbing" from side of coach to turbo fresh air intake) is as low as possible. Said another way, insure that that diesel fuel has LOTS of air to burn it cleanly.

Also, make sure you are using the correct quantity of oil in the eigine, as over-filling causes oil to be exhausted through the crankcase breather tube (slobber tube) and that can also get black oil mist on the toad.

If you have a Caterpillar engine, refer to this docunent for the correct oil quantity (which includes oil filter): http://ohe.cat.com/cda/files/517742/7/LEHT9288.pdf?mode

And do NOT assume your dipstick is accurate. These engines are installed over such a wide range of angles that it is best to calibrate the dipstick which costs $zero at your next oil change (There is a separate topic on this here in the "engine section" of the FMCA Forum).

Brett Wolfe