Sign in to follow this  
ejmc77@hotmail.com

Slide electrical problem that defies all logic

Slide motor/pump is a reversable 12v motor on an 08 Safari. If you push the out rocker s/w it goes out ok. If you push the rocker s/w to the "in" side it doesn't move AND you can hear the solenoid click. Go to the pump and reverse the leads and the slide comes in. I put a 12v test light on the leads at the pump and it shows 12v on just one lead and no power on the other lead when you push "in". Push "out" and it shows 12v on BOTH leads.

I pulled the inside rocker s/w and tested it for continuity and it shows continuity for each side of the s/w and open for each non selected side.

To be sure I put in another new on/off/on s/w and get the same results. I also replaced the HD solenoid

Anyone got any ideas?

Guest Wayne77590

Wow! How many wires on the back of the switch?

If you say 3, then I would suspect a break in the reverse polarity line going to the motor.

You can check for continuity along the path by connecting a long wire to one end of each wire and metering for continuity for each wire. You only need one wire and check one at a time. If you only have two wires, than the switch is the reversing mechanism and most likely is faulty.

If the switch is easily removable, take it out and connect a 9v battery the way it is supposed to wire, using a 12v light bulb. It should glow slightly (9v) one way, and not the other way, but revers the lines and the other way will glow and the first way will not.

JMHO

Good luck

Wow! How many wires on the back of the switch?

If you say 3, then I would suspect a break in the reverse polarity line going to the motor.

You can check for continuity along the path by connecting a long wire to one end of each wire and metering for continuity for each wire. You only need one wire and check one at a time. If you only have two wires, than the switch is the reversing mechanism and most likely is faulty.

If the switch is easily removable, take it out and connect a 9v battery the way it is supposed to wire, using a 12v light bulb. It should glow slightly (9v) one way, and not the other way, but revers the lines and the other way will glow and the first way will not.

JMHO

Good luck

There are 3 wires to the momentary rocker s/w. In out and power. I have removed the s/w and ohm checked it to verify continuity and no continuity depending on which side is actuated, and the s/w checks OK. I even used a new s/w and continued to get the same bad system operation. The clicking comes from the elec "box" on top of the motor/pump. I thought it was the problem so I tracked down its origin, its a solenoid made by Trombetta. I received a replacement changed it out ...same problem. That's when I replaced the actuating s/w with a new one...same problem. The 12v test light shows 12v on BOTH leads to the pump/motor when the s/w is pushed to one side, and that's why the solenoid is clicking. When you rock the s/w over to the other side it properly shows 12v on one lead to the motor and no volts on the other lead which allows the motor to operate in one direction. Reverse that lead at the motor and the pump will run in the other direction.

In practice then, I can move the slide in and out by moving the one wire from one side of the motor terminal to the other.

As I said before I ohm tested the s/w and it checks out good I even replaced it with a new one....no help.

I'm at a loss when to go next other than the wires themselves which are hidden in a maze of conduits.

I will string some wires out the MH door from the s/w to the solenoid (by passing all internal wiring) and see what happens....this thing defies all logic and is kicking my buttttt!!!!