misoneism@aol.com

Denied Warranty by Lifeline Marine and RV Batteries

Subject: Denied Warranty by Lifeline Marine and RV Batteries http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/index.htm

My Lifeline battery failed within the Warranty period.

I contacted my supplier BD Batteries by phone and talked to Mike.

Mike Pobar: Manager of Operations BD Batteries

525 East 70th Ave Unit 3-W

Denver, CO 80229

t. 303.800.4725f. 303.600.9726

http://www.bdbatteries.com

I told Mike that I used the battery from May 2009 through September 2009, at which time I removed the battery from my RV, at which time the battery was at full charge. I proceeded to boost charge the battery monthly.

This month April 2010, I found that the battery would not hold a charge when placed in service.

Mike Pobar emailed me with the following:

To further the process we will need photos of the batteries bar code (0938337) and the sticker code (DI.) These you referenced to me earlier. Also, a photo, or description of the application the battery is being used for. All of which is required by the manufacturer.

Thank You.

I sent pictures of the bar code, sticker, the trailer, and 120 VAC/12 VDC wiring diagrams of the trailer.

Mike Pobar further emailed me with the following:

The manufacture would like to know what type of charger you are using, if could also forward a photo of the charger or let me know what amp charger it is.

I sent picture of charger.

Mike Pobar called me and informed me that the manufacturer denied the Warranty request because of misuse, that being lack of use.

I have been denied Warranty even though I, under good practices, placed the charger on charge once every month when not actively in use. See Lifeline’s storage recommendations below:

Purchase date: Apr 24, 2009

1 Lifeline Lifeline GPL-27T - Lifeline GPL-27T AGM Battery $279.99

The following Storage and Warranty are from Lifeline’s website: http://www.lifelinebatteries.com,

Storage:

The following recommendations may be helpful if the battery is to be stored:

• When storing the battery, it is not necessary to leave it on charge. Disconnect the negative battery cable. This will prevent inadvertent discharging of the battery that may lead to a complete discharge.

• Fully charge the battery before putting it in storage and store in a cool place.

• Boost charge the battery every 3 months to ensure maximum battery life.

Warranty:

Lifeline batteries have a 5-year pro-rated warranty with a 1-year free replacement (12-month prorated warranty in applications other than marine or RV). The warranty period starts at the time of purchase. If the original receipt is lost, the warranty will be based on the battery date code. The warranty covers defects in material, workmanship and failure, except where such failure is due to abuse, neglect or breakage. The warranty does not cover consequential damage or injury, discharged batteries, rental, freight or installation costs. Replacement batteries will be provided at the time the warranty is requested. Credit will not be issued after the purchase of a new battery. For warranty questions, please contact Lifeline Inc at (800) 527-3224. Rev 12/08

Guest BillAdams

I am not surprised (disappointed but not surprised). One of the 4 8D Lifeline batteries that I purchased in Jan 2003 began to leak fluids from one of the terminal posts in 2007. I contacted Lifeline, send pictures, e-mailed a couple more times and then all communications ended. No further comments or offers for a prorated replacement.

I love my batteries but I think the company leaves a bit to be desired when things go wrong.

My name is Justin Godber from Lifeline Batteries. The customer who made the initial post has been contacted and taken care of. This was simply a miscommunication between the customer and our dealer. We were never contacted directly. If anyone has any issue's, concerns or questions please feel free to call us at anytime. We are one of the few, maybe the only, battery manufacturer that answers the phone right away. You can get support from us M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm PST. Please feel free to ask questions or visit our Web site.

Excellent.

A good example of why it is desirable to contact the manufacturer directly if the dealer is not able/willing to assist with a reasonable service or warranty request.

Brett

Guest BillAdams

Nice to hear that they responded to the OP. I wish I has received a similar courtesy a couple of years back. The battery still leaks but it's hanging in there. I have been trying to use a caulk of some kind, but it wouldn't last. Last week I tried using a different automotive "goop" that was thinner and thus far (may be too early to know yet) we are not seeing a leak. I have my fingers crossed as these things are terribly expensive to replace!

Guest Wayne77590

Thanks to Lifeline Batteries for stepping up and taking responsibility.

As I was reading the original post, I was thinking to never deal with the company. But after the post by Justin Godber of Lifeline Batteries, I'm sure I will check into their products when the time comes.

Thanks.

My name is Justin Godber from Lifeline Batteries. The customer who made the initial post has been contacted and taken care of. This was simply a miscommunication between the customer and our dealer. We were never contacted directly. If anyone has any issue's, concerns or questions please feel free to call us at anytime. We are one of the few, maybe the only, battery manufacturer that answers the phone right away. You can get support from us M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm PST. Please feel free to ask questions or visit our Web site.

Thanks for responding to all the concerns about Lifeline. Good to hear that you take care of customer issues responsibly. You've put Lifeline battery users minds a lot more at ease to know you're there if we have any problems with your great product. Have had mine for 4 years and work very well.