deluco

New Damon Stairs Won't Retract

I just purchased a new Damon Daybreak and I think I have noticed a safety feature that's a bit of an aggravator: The stairs will not retract when the main battery disconnect switch is set to "store" (disconnect). Also, there's no way to keep the stairs from coming out, even with the main disconnect set to "store" from inside the coach. So you're stuck with the situation that in order to get the stairs to retract, you must have the main battery connected. Then you have to shut the screen door so that the stairs retract; then reach thru the screen door opening, and turn the main battery to "store".

Anyone else experience this?

I just purchased a new Damon Daybreak and I think I have noticed a safety feature that's a bit of an aggravator: The stairs will not retract when the main battery disconnect switch is set to "store" (disconnect). Also, there's no way to keep the stairs from coming out, even with the main disconnect set to "store" from inside the coach. So you're stuck with the situation that in order to get the stairs to retract, you must have the main battery connected. Then you have to shut the screen door so that the stairs retract; then reach thru the screen door opening, and turn the main battery to "store".

Anyone else experience this?

We just purchased a Damon Tuscany and are having the exact same problem. We have it back to the dealers twice and both times they could find nothing wrong. I certainly would like to know what others have done to solve this problem.

We have a 2008 Damon Astoria. The same issue. I was told to stay inside the MH, put it into store and climb out the emergency exit, disconnect the battery and then go back inside and lock the emergency exit. Needless to say, I keep the steps down when in storage.

After thinking about it and talking to others, I believe that this is a safety feature...that the stairs must remain out while the doors are open, regardless of the setting on the battery disconnect. Think about it. You're inside the MH and turn off the battery disconnect. Then you open the door to leave. The stairs MUST extend for safety reasons. Unfortunately I could find nothing in the manual about this. I guess they expect that you will leave the stairs extended during storage. I just reach in thru the screen door and turn the stairs on, and the battery on, let the stairs retract, then turn the battery off.

I guess every manufacturer wires their coaches differently. My coach will always extend the stairs (when the door is open) regardless of where the chassis or coach disconnect switches are positioned. When the door is closed, the steps retract, if I have positioned the auto step switch to "on". The steps are on a separate fused circuit to the chassis batteries.