Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Lithium Battery charging

Lithium battery charging.

Can I charge a lithium battery with a normal charger?

The “return to bulk” voltage setting in lead acid chargers is normally 12.5-12.7v. This voltage for a lithium battery is way too low. ... A lead-acid charger that can be set to charge no higher than 14.6v can be used for regular charging and then MUST be disconnected after the battery is fully charged. Lithium batteries do not like to be in a float charge.

I feel very comfortable saying that 99 % of Recreational Vehicles, cars  or trucks charging systems, are not compatible with them.

My personal fear is there is a high probability of fire in the transportation and Recreational industry !

Take a look at this link. Covers a number of items related to batteries.

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/can-charge-lithium-battery-lead-acid-charger/       

Lithium batteries are totally different and a true charger for large systems is not available for the consumer at a reasonable price. Also, they are good for short burst of current, but questionable for extended loads – like powering inverter’s.  

Rich.