reid9439

Shore Power Mistake

Everyone has heard the quote that "When you're up to your behind in alligators, it's hard to remember that you only wanted to drain the swamp."

Being new (less than 1 year) to Class A motorhomes, I was under the impression that they where 220 volts because they have a four-prong 50-amp cord. I learned the hard way that this is not so.

My project was to install an outside outlet, to plug the motorhome into before we leave for a trip, to charge the batteries and cool the refer. I hired an electrician to install the receptacle. I told him that I didn't need a four-prong 50/A receptacle and to just install a three-prong 30/A (RV) plug. He wired the 30/A for 220/V as I had told him. Big mistake! When we turned the power on nothing worked except the electric water heater. After a minute or so, the A/C controller in the Magnum inverter/charger fried. I place most of the blame on myself, but I wish the electrician had challenged me so we could have researched to voltage for motor homes

The people at Magnum where fantastic in helping me diagnose the problem and how to cure it. It was cured with a $205 A/C controller.

I hope this costly experience helps some other poor soul.

Everyone has heard the quote that "When you're up to your behind in alligators, it's hard to remember that you only wanted to drain the swamp."

Being new (less than 1 year) to Class A motorhomes, I was under the impression that they where 220 volts because they have a four-prong 50-amp cord. I learned the hard way that this is not so.

My project was to install an outside outlet, to plug the motorhome into before we leave for a trip, to charge the batteries and cool the refer. I hired an electrician to install the receptacle. I told him that I didn't need a four-prong 50/A receptacle and to just install a three-prong 30/A (RV) plug. He wired the 30/A for 220/V as I had told him. Big mistake! When we turned the power on nothing worked except the electric water heater. After a minute or so, the A/C controller in the Magnum inverter/charger fried. I place most of the blame on myself, but I wish the electrician had challenged me so we could have researched to voltage for motor homes

The people at Magnum where fantastic in helping me diagnose the problem and how to cure it. It was cured with a $205 A/C controller.

I hope this costly experience helps some other poor soul.

Yup, a not infrequent EXPENSIVE Mistake.

50-amp RV connections have two HOTS (on opposite "phases" so 220 VAC between the hots), one NEUTRAL and one GROUND.

30-amp RV connection has ONE HOT, one NEUTRAL and one GROUND.

A house dryer connection has TWO HOTS and will destroy a lot of equipment in an RV!

Brett