Hi. I just ran into a situation.

I set up my '63 Ford Fairlane 500 to use as toad. Guess what -- it refuses to follow the motorhome. I mean, it won't. Turn right, and it locks wheel to left! Try left, and it does the same thing. I rode in the car and could pull the wheel back but only with considerable force. Tried the bungie cord but no luck there, either, as it just turned anyway! You could hear the tires screech for several blocks when we tried a corner!

I have seen many older cars, especially Mustangs, being towed. I called a hitch outfit and they said, "Oh, yes, many old cars aren't towable." I don't buy this. Anyone know anything about this? I question if it isn't an alignment problem? But the car drives beautifully, handles well, and is very nice! It's a shame that when it's set up with the tow bar equipment I can't tow it. It would make a very cute tow car.

The wheels don't follow the car like usual when towing four wheels down. The Fairlane is actually pulled sideways by the motorhome on the corner -- can actually see the wheels sliding to the side. Anyone have any good thoughts on this?

Guest BillAdams

As I recall, this problem is caused by the toe-in, toe-out, caster, camber setting of the particular car. If not setup properly towing the car would be just the same at trying to push a push most cars backward. The wheels will just wander in whatever direction they choose.

I don't know if it is correctable with that particular vehicle, but if not then you will have to use a dolly of some kind.

Go find you a older mechanic. He will have the experience and knowledge to adjust your toe-in and your caster where it will follow your coach with no problems. If your caster is too little it will not follow. He will also know that there are spec for all newer cars & truck but very few on the older ones. If your Toe-in is not enough your car will wander down the road trying to find the center. Hope you find that old mechanic and you get your problem solved. Your are right about not believing that some cars won't toe. You just need the right person to align your 63 Ford.

I'd guess it's caster (affects self centering) more than toe in, but bottom line, talk to an experinced front end alignment shop, they may be able to help.

Guest BillAdams

I edited my post to clarify that what I meant to say was the front end alignment in general be that caster/camber or toe-in/toe-out.

HI;Thanks for the replies to my question!He ended up renting a tow dolly and getting it home.Interesting point he contacted 2 different car hauls both agreed to haul the car and neither ever showed up!That was his preferred method of moving it the tow bar and later tow dolly were last choices! Aparently what came from this is that the early Fords had a different power steering than modern ones,Shop said it would have towed fine if was manual steering but something about no center on these units goes to the left no matter what!Aparently possible to updates the power steering ot a newer style that has a center like what we are accustomed to on our cars now!But this requires a good level of mechanical ability!!Yes the front end alignment can be a question but apparently here it got into a real mechanical thing too!Thanks much for the advice!!

HI;Thanks for the replies to my question! He ended up renting a tow dolly and getting it home. Interesting point he contacted 2 different car hauls both agreed to haul the car and neither ever showed up! That was his preferred method of moving it the tow bar and later tow dolly were last choices!

Aparently what came from this is that the early Fords had a different power steering than modern ones. Shop said it would have towed fine if was manual steering but something about no center on these units goes to the left no matter what! Apparently possible to updates the power steering ot a newer style that has a center like what we are accustomed to on our cars now! But this requires a good level of mechanical ability!! Yes the front end alignment can be a question but apparently here it got into a real mechanical thing too!

Thanks much for the advice!!

Hi. I just ran into a situation.

I set up my '63 Ford Fairlane 500 to use as toad. Guess what -- it refuses to follow the motorhome. I mean, it won't. Turn right, and it locks wheel to left! Try left, and it does the same thing. I rode in the car and could pull the wheel back but only with considerable force. Tried the bungie cord but no luck there, either, as it just turned anyway! You could hear the tires screech for several blocks when we tried a corner!

I have seen many older cars, especially Mustangs, being towed. I called a hitch outfit and they said, "Oh, yes, many old cars aren't towable." I don't buy this. Anyone know anything about this? I question if it isn't an alignment problem? But the car drives beautifully, handles well, and is very nice! It's a shame that when it's set up with the tow bar equipment I can't tow it. It would make a very cute tow car.

The wheels don't follow the car like usual when towing four wheels down. The Fairlane is actually pulled sideways by the motorhome on the corner -- can actually see the wheels sliding to the side. Anyone have any good thoughts on this?

Many years ago, I towed a Falcon, had the same problem except it had manual steering. A bungee cord solved the problem. I think your problem may be radial tires. If you had the bias tires, I think it would track ok. We do antique car tours, but I haul them in an enclosed trailer.