Sign in to follow this  
f364083

Correct tire pressures for 1995 coachman 320 fl

Hi,

I have a 1995 coachman santera on the ford chassis.I was wondering if anyone knows what the correct tire pressures should be for front and rear.

The owners manual and chassis manual do not list tire pressures and there isn't any info on the coach.

The max pressures on my tire sidewalls are 80 psi cold which is what I'm currently using.

Thanks,

Larry

This is a good question, a common problem that is fairly easily solved.

Unlike an automobile which operates in a fairly narrow range of weight, and thus a pressure can be assigned for the front and rear tires, an RV is different. Some people travel with everything including the kitchen sink. Others put only a few things on board for a weekend camping trip. Your first task is to load your '95 Coachman Santera as you plan to travel with it. Be sure to fill the fuel tank and propane tank. If you don't have water in the fresh water tank or the waste tanks, you should calculate the full weight for those tanks. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds.

Then you must get it weighed. Before you drive off, inflate the tires near the 80 pound pressure maximum specified on the tires (and I would hope the rims as well). You should not inflate the tires to greater than the smaller of the tire or rim pressure rating.

Weighing should be done one wheel position at a time if possible. If you can't get weights for each individual wheel positions, at least get axle weights. Divide by two to get the average weight on each wheel on a two wheel axle, divide by 4 to get average individual wheel weights on an axle with dual wheels. In our motor home the fresh water tank is by the front axle so I would add its full weight to the front axle weight before dividing. Our waste tanks are by the rear axle so I would add their weight to the rear axle before doing the division. If you never use the fresh water or waste tanks you would not need to worry about their weights.

Finally, take into account the average weights if you don't have individual wheel weights. In an RV the weight from one side to the other or from one corner to another can vary considerably. Add 10% to the individual wheel weights you have calculated above. Some may recommend a higher amount such as 20%. You be the judge of how much variation there is in your side to side weights and corner to corner weights.

Next get a weight chart for the tires you have. You can find them on the internet for most tires. If you don't find the weight/load chart for your tires, see a local dealer to get a paper copy. Be sure you have the correct diameter/ply/model of tire when consulting the chart. Look up the weight on your tire and it gives the pressure to which you should inflate the tire. Note that there are different tables for single tires and dual tires. Now add an additional 10% to the recommended pressure. If it goes over your 80 pound tire limit or the rim pressure limit, you need to shift the load from one tire or axle to the other or reduce the weight of your vehicle if both axles or all wheel positions are at or above maximum.

There is an extensive discussion of tire weights in an earlier posting, see GCVW vs GVWR. You might want to take a look at it for more detail and some suggestions on where to get individual wheel weights which will be your most accurate way to determine weight.