Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Portable satellite setup

Hey, hey...we have a satellite on our motorhome roof but we are taking an extended trip and are thinking about throwing the tripod and the sat dish in the back of the SUV for use when we are on a site full of trees with no reception.

First of all, I hate dealing with a portable sat but sometimes it is a necessary evil.

It has been so long since I set one up can anyone take me through the steps after I get the dish on the tripod. I have the meter and the compass.

It is probably the most hated aspect of rv'ing...portable sat dish setup.

I would appreciate someone takingme thru the steps from step one...THANKS

Pat

We use a tripod all the time, even though we have a dome. The tripod dish lets us get everything we get at home and it's not that big a deal to set it up.

I use the TV4RV tripod and start by pointing the front of the tripod south, leveling it and securing it. Then I place the dish, set the elevation and skew. I have a short coax from the LNB to the meter, then a long cable to the receiver. With the basic meter, set the meter to a signal strength of 5. Turn the dish until it peaks. Turn the meter back do to 5 and fine tune the aim for best signal. Tighten the nuts. Remove the meter and connect the cables. Go watch TV.

I also use the DishPointer app for the iPhone and Droid to see where I should be aiming and if there are any obstructions.