Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

I-8 Grade Near Mountain Springs, CA

Question

Guest Wayne77590

Yipes! Made the trip from El Centro, CA to San Diego, CA using I-8. Then we hit the 12 mile grade heading west. There were a couple times I had to shift down to 2/2 so the RPM's would go up and the MPH down to reduce the temperature. At one point I thought I could trounce it in 6/5 to make a crest, only to have it hit 212 degrees and within 10 seconds I had it down to 208 and decreasing. It varied between 199 and 210 with constant monitoring.

Not something I want to do everyday. Now I'm wondering what to expect heading to WA via the coast. Then across to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and South.

Any suggestions????

Presently at Admiral Baker RV Park, San Diego, site #2. If you're in the area.

3 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams
Yipes! Made the trip from El Centro, CA to San Diego, CA using I-8. Then we hit the 12 mile grade heading west. There were a couple times I had to shift down to 2/2 so the RPM's would go up and the MPH down to reduce the temperature. At one point I thought I could trounce it in 6/5 to make a crest, only to have it hit 212 degrees and within 10 seconds I had it down to 208 and decreasing. It varied between 199 and 210 with constant monitoring.

Not something I want to do everyday. Now I'm wondering what to expect heading to WA via the coast. Then across to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and South.

Any suggestions????

Presently at Admiral Baker RV Park, San Diego, site #2. If you're in the area.

Yep, that's a fun climb but one that it really easy to deal with by gearing down. Did you notice all those tractor-trailers climbing the hill at 25 MPH? That's all you need to do, find the right speed/gear for you and climb until you are done. There's no hurry, the only goal is to get there.

Wayne, been there; done that. If you go back that way, be aware of the potential high winds and make sure your awning(s) are secure. I didn't!

Also, are you aware of San Diego's reduced, unlmited monthly senior pass for the bus and trolley? The last time we were there the pass cost $15 each and was good all month for unlimited rides. The trolley system is clean and great. Using both systems, you can see many of the "must see" sites in the area.

Sam

Guest Wayne77590

Forty nine years ago we were both stationed at MCRD. We got married here in San Diego in 1961. So saying been there done that on sight seeing. We did get out today and saw the two places we lived at. Both are still there.

Yep! Things have changed. Traffic is worse than Houston, but I'm going to be heading towards LA (Seal Beach) come Monday. I've driven in that area before pullng a 36 foot TT back in the early 80's. Funny thing. I picked the trailer up, I was by myself, checked for red lights in the mirror shinning against the wall to see if the turn signals and brake lights were working. Took off. Turned the turn signal on to make a turn and the truck jerked. Next was the freeway and put the left turn signal on and it almost threw me out the windshield. Someone had wired the system wrong and and when the turn signals were turned on, it actually was turning on the electrical trailer brakes. I used hand signals until 29 Stumps and then fixed it.

Back on subject. We saw the signs about "High Winds Next 87 Miles." We were lucky. Mostly just head winds. Dropped my mileage from 10.5 to 9.9 MPG.

Bill, I played leap frog with a few of them, but a few more blew past me like I was standing still.

We are not going back that way. We are headed North through Oregon, Washington, and then over to Idaho, etc., I figure I'll run into a few "hills" that way also.

I'll be looking for information on traveling the coast headed North. Where to go, where not to go.