leemavis07Camelot

Engine cooling system 2007 Monoco camelot

I have purchased a 2007 Monaco Camelot with 400 ISL Cummings power plant.

I have had a problem with the hose connecting the storage, overflow coolant tank to the radiator.

It runs a very "S" shape course and crosses over the air filter and under a steel supporting plate.

Tends to rub on these and thus potentially fail. Which it has done, by wearing a hole in the hose. Fortunately I discovered the leak before I lost all the coolant

On trying to replace it I had difficulty in locating a suitable hose. Flex, re enforced, high temp and correct diameter.

Any one ever have this problem? How was it handled ? The RV dealer also had a hard time locating suitable hose.

The trouble is that a sufficiently strong high temp hose, even a flexible one is hardly flexible enough to route away from the offending filter etc.

Lee

Lee,

A common solution to abrasion is to find the correct hose AND a hose whose ID (inside diameter) will just allow the OD (outside diameter) of the "correct" hose to slip inside it.

This outer hose will gusset/protect the hose inside it. Also use nylon zip ties to secure this outer hose to all STATIONARY objects but NOT the closest stationary object to the engine, or the engine connection, as the engine moves relative to the chassis/stationary objects.

And if you don't have the room to run the outer hose all the way, cut lengths that you zip tie in place where the original hose abrades.

For hoses already in place, slice lengths of the outer hose and slit them long-wise. Slip over the hose to be protected and zip tie the ends to keep the gusset from moving on the inside hose and then zip tie the short piece of outer hose to "close the cut" you made to allow you to slip it over the hose.

Do not hesitate to consider a better routing for the hose. Ideally, it will run uphill from radiator (or where ever it connects at the cooling system end) to the overflow reservoir. That makes it more effective for purging the air from the cooling system.

Brett

I have a very similar problem trying to find a like hose for my Cat C-9 powered 2008 Beaver. After some research I believe Goodyear's Hi-Miler Blue heater hose is going to work for me. It's not radiator hose, but every spec looks like it will more than meet my system's needs. My only real concern is that the expansion tank is pressurized. Again, this hose should work. My challenge was finding a flexible 7-foot long 1 1/4 ID hose.

The alternative, and one I considered, was to get a piece of exhaust pipe of the correct size bent. This would eliminate the 7-foot hose and allow me to use real radiator hose (although not really necessary) to couple the custom bent pipe to the reservoir and the engine. This would mean I'd only need 2 short hoses of less than a foot.

I hope to change the hose this weekend.

Gil