Sign in to follow this  
charfugate@hotmail.com

Suggested Route and Parks

Question

We are in the process of planning a trip from the Gulf Coast of FL to the Northeast as far as Bar Harbor. I've got our route planned to Virginia Beach and from there would like some suggestions on the best way to get up to Bar Harbor avoiding the large cities yet staying on roads that are not too steep or treacherous for our 39' RV.

Additionally, any suggestions on great places to stay where we can get 50 amp service along the way and up there too. It appears many of the campgrounds only have 30amp.

3 answers to this question

Hi ctfugate,

From VA Beach avoiding the big cities is a longer route. However, it is the same route I would choose. I dislike I95 and the big cities. Consider the following:

1. I64 West to I81 North

2. I 81 North to I 88 East (Binghamton, NY)

3. I88 East to I87 North (Albany, NY)

4. I88 North to Keeseville, NY you are looking to get to Port Kent. Take the ferry from Port Kent to Burlington, VT.

5. I89 South to Montpelier, VT. look for Route 2

6. Route 2 to Newport, Maine

7. I95 to Bangor, Maine

8. Alt Route 1 to Ellsworth, Maine

9. Route 3 to Bar Harbor

I'll be taking this route (from #3) this summer.

We are in the process of planning a trip from the Gulf Coast of FL to the Northeast as far as Bar Harbor. I've got our route planned to Virginia Beach and from there would like some suggestions on the best way to get up to Bar Harbor avoiding the large cities yet staying on roads that are not too steep or treacherous for our 39' RV.

Additionally, any suggestions on great places to stay where we can get 50 amp service along the way and up there too. It appears many of the campgrounds only have 30amp.

There are numerous routes to get to Bar Harbor Maine, and one of which is a toll road. Would need to know which you prefer. Gary's route is about 80% correct. We live north of the Albany, NY area and of course know the area and it's routes. Have spent our annual vacations in Maine for the last twenty+ years, and have used different routes over the years. State your preference(s), and maybe we can head you toward Bar Harbor.

Hi folks! We are currently in Charleston, SC and hope to work our way SLOWLY to Maine where we would like very much to spend a month before moving West and South. Looking forward to seeing people's thoughts as we are very inexperienced in East Coat travel. Will really appreciate thoughts about "must see and do" things along the way.