rdschoepf@gmail.com

Safari w/Cat 330 Coolant Surge Tank Replacement

We have had to replace the plastic (Ford part) coolant surge tank on our 1996 Safari coach three times! The plastic just disintegrates over time - may not get along with the coolant. The first time I replaced it Ford only charged around $60. The second time it nearly doubled - now they want about $250!! Not going to pay that for a tank that fails over time. Searched the web (a lot) and finally found a metal tank used by Spartan Motor Chassis which I believe will work. It is Spartan P/N 0275FF2 which carries a price of approx $238. I expect that other Safari owners have experienced the same problem - what solutions have you found?

Roy,

UV (sun) light is what is breaking down the plastic tanks.

Remember in the Ford or other applications for which the tank was designed, it is under the hood, totally protected from sunlight.

So, the answer is to protect the plastic from as much sunlight as possible.

When in storage, you might consider a sheet of cardboard closed inside the grill to protect all plastic and rubber parts from sunlight.

In some applications, a thin metal or black plastic (UV safe) "sun-block" may be easy to make.

I am not suggesting getting carried away with this, but the less sun they get, the longer they last.

Brett

Thanks, Brett! Wish I had known about that three tanks ago!! My metal tank should be waiting for me in Charlotte when we arrive next week - may post a photo of the installation if it goes well - otherwise silence!! Thanks again

My surge tank on my 2000 Safari, Sahara was also sun degraded. However with a little research I was able to find a Ford replacement that is an upgrade from the ones purchased by Monaco. (all plastic)

Ford part #F6HZ-8A080-B is the exact same part except has a metal fill neck and an improved plastic construction.

I found it on Amazon.com for $144.53 with free shipping from a third party seller "Tasco Automotive Group" (the old style from Monaco is  now $335.00 plus $35.00 shipping)

I keep my Safari (previously own and stored outside) parked inside my RV Garage so the sun issue should not be a problem in the future.