slammer7760@att.net

Jammed dipstick

My FW Excursion (07) is powered with a Cat C-7 350 HP engine. Problem is when checking the oil, the dipstick will only return to within about 6-8 inches of seating. It sometimes takes 5-10 minutes of turning and twisting to get it around whatever obstruction is interfering with its return to the cranckcase. This then makes the simple process of checking the oil level a sometimes 30 minute chore. Does anyone else have this same problem or any experience curing it or diagnosing the cause ?

Thanks

My FW Excursion (07) is powered with a Cat C-7 350 HP engine. Problem is when checking the oil, the dipstick will only return to within about 6-8 inches of seating. It sometimes takes 5-10 minutes of turning and twisting to get it around whatever obstruction is interfering with its return to the crankcase. This then makes the simple process of checking the oil level a sometimes 30 minute chore. Does anyone else have this same problem or any experience curing it or diagnosing the cause ?

Thanks

It is my understanding (we are in Bonaire right now, so I can't call Caterpillar) that the chassis maker, not Caterpillar fits the dip stick.

You can call the Caterpillar RV Hotline with your engine serial number to confirm: 877 777-3126.

And then if indeed the dipstick IS fit by the chassis maker, call them.

Also, verify the dipstick's calibration: http://community.fmca.com/index.php?showtopic=388

Brett