Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Check Engine - Scared Me

Guest Wayne77590

Came up over Lookout Pass, I-90, and down the other side at 25 mph (maybe 35 at some points). The exhaust brake and gear down held it pretty steady. I only had to stab a few times and that was when i was in 3rd.

Somewhere after coming down I looked at the "Check Engine" light and it was on. I pulled into a fuel station and called Cummins. The technician was real nice on the phone. He told me to turn the key on without starting and stab the throttle pedal 3 times fast. That would reveal a blinking error code. Well, I turned the key on, the light was out, so the stabbing of the pedal did not work. He transferred me to the Cummins shop in Missoula, MT and I drove there the 50+ miles without the light coming on.

In Missoula, the Technician hooked up his lap top and the only occurrence of error was one (that is ONE) indication of EGR. He said not to worry about it, but if it had been 15 occurrences he would have put it in the shop. We came up Homestake Pass, and down and there were not further check engine light.

Just for reference.