Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

Simple fix for dry washer drain stops odor problems

Here is a simple fix that I arrived at several years ago. When traveling we sometimes go for a week or so without a hookup to sewer and water. During this time we don't use the washer/drier in the motor home. Drive a little bit and the water in the drain trap will slosh out and evaporate until the trap is no longer sealing the passage to the gray water tank. Once that trap no longer seals the gray water tank, a very unpleasant odor is drawn into the motor home. No amount of tank treatment will completely prevent this odor. The solution is to keep the drain filled with water.

I drilled a hole in the closet floor above the drier drain pipe in our motor home. Then I put a transmission filler funnel in the hole with the long extension of the funnel into the drain pipe for the washer. I attached the funnel to the back wall of the closet with a single screw just to stabilize it in an upright position.

Now when we haven't used the washer for some time I will pour a glass of water down the funnel and keep water standing in the trap. This is much simpler and uses less water than running the washer for even a short time. It only takes a small glass or two of water occasionally to keep the drain filled. Problem solved!

If you haven't used the shower in a while, the same process, a glass or two of water down the drain will keep that trap filled as well. Both traps have gone dry from time to time and we now watch them pretty closely.

Guest Wayne77590

Thanks Tom.

Also, I have heard that if you put a little vegetable oil in the drain, the water will not evaporate (maybe as fast). The oil floats to the top in the drain and the air/water evaporation process is slowed down.

I have not tried that, and probably will not have to as I use mine to frequently, but should be good for long term storage.

Edited: Also, for the toilet bowl, put some water in a plastic zip lock about half full. Put the bag in a Wally-world bag with handles and lower it against the ball trap. The water in the bag will seal around the ball until you are ready to use it.

Thanks Tom.

Also, I have heard that if you put a little vegetable oil in the drain, the water will not evaporate (maybe as fast). The oil floats to the top in the drain and the air/water evaporation process is slowed down.

I have not tried that, and probably will not have to as I use mine to frequently, but should be good for long term storage.

Edited: Also, for the toilet bowl, put some water in a plastic zip lock about half full. Put the bag in a Wally-world bag with handles and lower it against the ball trap. The water in the bag will seal around the ball until you are ready to use it.

Thank you Wayne! So many good ideas out there. Both these are excellent solutions for keeping drains sealed.

I keep a supply of "pink" anti-freeze solution just for the purpose of adding to all sink and tub drains. The anti-freeze solution (propylene glycol) does not evaporate and will act as a lubricant to valve seals.