WildBill95

Air Conditioner Condensation

I have a 2006 Damon Challenger on a Ford Motorhome chassis. The coach is new to me as I purchased it in December of last year. We just got back from a longer trip and noticed that the carpet in front of the passenger chair is soaked after about 8 hours of driving with the air conditioner on high. I live in the Southeast, so it is very hot and humid. I noticed that the air conditioner duct under the dash is damp and dripping on the outside of the duct, but I don't believe that it can account for the amount of water on the floor. The air conditioner evaporator is on the firewall on the passenger side. I checked the drain and it seems to be open and drips freely when stopped with the air conditioner running. I spoke to someone who said it could be due to a clogged passenger compartment filter, but I can't find one in the Ford manual or the Damon manual. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be happening. The water is fresh with no odor.

Only two possible sources of water from the dash A/C:

Evaporator condensate from clogged drain or cracked/loose case.

Condensation external to the ducts.

You should be able to determine the source between these.

If condensation external to the ducts, insulate the ducts.

If from the evaporator case, start by sucking (NOT blowing) on the condensate drain using a long clear plastic hose extension. If you blow to clear and there is a clog, all you will do is temporarily relocate it within the evaporator and it will likely re-clog very soon.

Brett

Thanks. I'll take a look. There was condensation on the duct work under the dash but I don't think it was enough to account for the amount of water in the carpet. I plan to insulate that anyway as it should help cooling. I'll try cleaning the hose and case. One thing I saw that I don't understand was it looked as if there was a vacuum diaphragm attached just above the the drain line. There isn't any kind of vacuum activated valve there is there?