Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

THETFORD TECMA TOILET PUMP INOP

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Thetford Tecma toilet

Symptom: Push flush button, water enters bowl, when it's time for pump to macerate there is an electrical draw and slight thump noise. Controller on wall flashes red triangle and water level blinks yellow to green alternately. 

Called Thetford customer service at:1-800-543-1219

Basically no help other than to send me a troubleshooting guide that talked a lot about voltage checking. 

I was confident it was not a voltage issue so I used a Youtube video to show me how to remove and take apart the toilet to check pump for blockage. There are plenty of videos, but I used this one:

One difference on my toilet was there was a hard black PVC pipe coming out of the floor about 8" to the pump discharge hose. This meant I had to spin the toilet clockwise after removing the 4 bolts holding it to the floor. This allowed me to access the rear opening of the toilet to disconnect plumbing and wiring. 

Once plumbing and wiring was disconnected I was able to lift the toilet straight up to get it over that hard pipe.

I removed the pump and bench tested it. It did not turn. I took the pump apart and there it was.... a SOCK stuck in the macerator area. This must have happened as my wife was emptying the drying, which is right above the toilet. 

Removed sock, bench test sat.

One thing I didn't do was put caulk between toilet and floor. I don't think it is necessary.

One note of caution: when putting the bolts back to secure the toilet to the floor, be careful of torq. This is porcelain and can crack with too much torq. 

IMG_0839.jpgIMG_0840.jpgIMG_0843.jpgIMG_0841.jpgIMG_0844.jpgIMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpgIMG_0847.jpg

Edited by eric@babin.com
change order of pictures