Sign in to follow this  
dalltop

Thermactor Leak

I have the 1995 Fleetwood Bounder on the F53 chassis with the 460 (7.5L) motor. Had the common issue with the passenger side bolt breaking on the exhaust manifold. Had it repaired but it started making noise again shortly after.

I had it looked at again and it appears that the thermactor systems A.I.R tube for the passenger side flange is leaking. Ford has discontinued the part. A salvage part that would fit will be about the same year so I really do not want to go that route. I can not find an aftermarket. I was told that this year was an odd year in how they plumbed it. Instead of multiport entry points this tube enters at the rear of the exhaust manifolds. I see parts for years before and after. I can find parts for late 60's but not for the 1995.

So the question is, what are you supposed to do if I go to sell the unit? With out the air pump and thermactor it wont pass emissions or inspections. We do not have emissions, only inspections in my county, but north and west they would. I guess if I wait a couple of years I can tag it as historic :rolleyes:

I may just have him put it back on the way it is and turn up the radio for a bit.

Anyone thoughts?

Update:

Without removing the A.I.R. Tube and the exhaust manifold, it is very difficult to properly inspect for where the leak is occurring. I used my cell camera and took multiple photos and video. After looking at all of the photos, it appears that the leak is between the flange and the manifold.

I found a copper washer that will fit inside the flange but still be centered on the inner lip of the tube which is about 1/8" from the inner diameter of the flange. I purchased 2000 degrees inferno metal repair made by VersaChem that I will use to smooth the flange and manifold surface. My main goal is to use the metal repair as a outer gasket to the copper washer and to hold it in proper position. Hopefully the copper will seal the leaking or at least reduce the noise. The manifold side is etched matching the flange but beveled edge were the washer will seat is intact.

The photo shows were the etching has occurred on the flange. It looks bad but it is amazing how thin that etching is.

Wish me luck!

post-4035-1279417670_thumb.jpg