Quixotex74

solar power or ags to maintain chassis batteries

I have a 2023 Bay Star 3014 Class A Gas motorhome, which I store at an RV service center when not on the road. I would like to use solar power to maintain the chassis batteries. I have a large solar panel I used with a 5th wheel, but it had a built-in port to attach the cord. The Bay Star has no exterior solar port, and has two 6-volt batteries attached in series to supply 12 volts. My question is, where do I attach the positive and negative cables from the solar panel--both on one battery, or positive on one and negative on the other?

Second question--is it possible/advisable to retrofit a solar panel to the Bay Star for this purpose? Newmar installs them on some of its diesel pushers. It does have an Automatic Generator Start that could charge the battery when it drops to a certain level, but that uses gas and I'm hesitant to run the generator when I'm not around. Any thoughts? (OK, that's three questions, but all to the same end.)

On some Newmars a prep has already been done for a solar panel if it is not already equipped with an actual panel.  I'm sure you've checked that already, but its worth mentioning just in case.  Otherwise, a quick and easy way to identify which posts you'd want to connect to is to find where the positive and ground lead from the battery bank head back to the house and/or chassis. There will be 12V across those two posts, and then you'll know where to connect your solar wiring.  Lastly, I'd be leery about letting the genset run unattended.  A good example of why; my AGS malfunctioned a few years ago when I left the system on during a temporary outdoor storage situation.  After the AGS shut the generator down it "held" the stop button indefinitely.  On the Onan diesels, that puts the unit into a priming and preheating mode.  By the time I noticed it, the result was a set of ruined glow plugs and several more hours on the fuel pump then needed.

Edited by superbus

YouTube is your friend. There are many videos on how to hook up solar.

I am with superbus   as I don't like my genset running when I am not there.

Many of the Newmar's have a little s solar  panel just so they can say they have "soalar"I don't think it is enough to keep/maintain a battery.