Sign in to follow this  
kevin.mackintosh@trilogyfs.com

Set Up of a Conversion

I need some help. If you have a 30 amp set up available and you have to convert to a 50amp RV, is there a "common" way this would be wired? I know that most 50 amp RV power systems use 2 independent 50 amp circuts, usually one running everything and the "other" running only the rear AC unit - occasionally some other appliance. When you put a dog bone adapter in place they always seem to get power to the "right' circut, the one that has everything on it. This leads me to believe there is a standard configuration on how a 30amp to 50 amp dog bone is configured. If you are looking at a female receptical, the "round" ground is at the top and the flat common is at the bottom and one energized "branch" on each side, which is the side the single 30 amp circuit is wired to?

Thanks,

Kevin

In a 30 amp male to 50 amp female, the connections are:

30 amp neutral to 50 amp neutral.

30 amp ground to 50 amp ground.

30 amp single hot is tied to BOTH HOTS ON THE 50 AMP SIDE OF THE ADAPTER.

So, both "sides" of your 50 amp cord and coach are hot.

You just need to be careful not to exceed 30 amps total draw.

This is a LOT less power than the TWO 50 amp hots (100 total) in a standard 50 amp circuit.

Brett Wolfe

Hi kmackintosh,

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

Brett's post is correct.

I may be wrong in how I read your question, but here's my answer.

"which is the side the single 30 amp circuit is wired to" if you are looking at a female 30 AMP receptacle, the round ground is on the top, the blade receivers are on the bottom right and left. The power blade receiver is the bottom left. Neutral is the bottom right.

To Brett,

Nice to see you here, on this forum. You've got a lot of experience to share. We will all benefit from your posts.